Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didn't even tent it. Got out of bed at at 6 am. dehydrated, cold, no exercise, no hot meal, no hot drink, worst conditions to get into a bivvy, and it was still ok. on the old couch out on our open patio. With cammies, , socks, sock liners, shoes, gloves, balaclava, shemaugh, and the bivvy tented, using the tieoffs, I guarantee you I could have slept fine out there at 45F, no wind. A couple of drum liners taped around it and it will sleep fine in high winds and 40F, guaranteed. No reason to set up a camp where it's windy., either.

With a hot meal, hot drink, a bit of exercise, the bivvy and drum-liners will sleep fine at 35F, at least for a few hours. Given the net hammock around my torso, a bugnet bag around each leg, the other 3 drum liners, and the armor, it's going to sleep fine at 20F. Debris between those layers is bound to take it to 10F. If debris is wet, it wont be touching me. I can put it between the drum liners and the bivvy, and dry it out with a night of exercise and the UCO lantern and beeswax, or hot rocks/hot water bottles. Those last two items will take it down to 0F once the debris is dry. An oval of double-layered PEVA shower curtain can be clamped over the open end of the bivvy, with the one way projected heat of a Siberian fire lay "aimed" at the PEVA will let me sleep ok at -20F. for a couple of hours at a time. Then I'll have to do move the logs foward into the flames. I'll never be any place where it gets colder than that and it's a once in 5 year thing, and only at night, that it gets down to 0F here.

No need of 4 lbs of longjohns and heavy winter coat. The bivvy weighs 1.5 lbs, $90. He's out of the XL variant at the moment and the regular size is too small for a big man. It's long enough, at 7 ft, but too narrow across the shoulders., especially if you were to have a heavy coat on, which I insist upon having as an option. If shtf between 1 November and 1 March, I'm going to have a medium-weight coat either on me or in the vehicle. So there is another layer of (probable) protection.

The 2 zippers on the Trifecta meet in the middle of the seam. So you can have a vent anywhere you wish. and you can open it flat for use as a canopy if you need one, or lay it flat as a tarp to collect nuts, insects, berries, acorns, etc.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Where did you hear James Yeager recommending an SBR-length 223 and silencer?

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Wonder what the rest of the ghetto thinks about the strange homeless looking person sleeping outside on a couch wrapped up in garbage? Hell at 46 degrees, that is nice weather. Maybe try the Goodwill store or garage sales, WalMart, Dollar General, places like that, sure they have blankets or sleeping bags. Maybe even a small tent. Try Best Buy, a box from a refrigerator, covered with plastic would be better. What happened to living in the van? Towed away?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
so, you're going to use a calorie deficit to generate warmth? Do you even understand the flaw in your thinking? doing exercise to stay warm is a fools errand. decent gear, weighs little and works in a wide variety of conditions. You're going to put yourself behind the curve physically and mentally. you really should seriously try your ideas for a few days, not a few hours. you cannot extrapolate from a couple of hours of use what you will really be facing.

At 46 degrees, I'm shedding a lot of layers and not working very hard to stay warm.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
didn't even tent it. Got out of bed at at 6 am. dehydrated, cold, no exercise, no hot meal, no hot drink, worst conditions to get into a bivvy, and it was still ok. on the old couch out on our open patio. With cammies, , socks, sock liners, shoes, gloves, balaclava, shemaugh, and the bivvy tented, using the tieoffs, I guarantee you I could have slept fine out there at 45F, no wind. A couple of drum liners taped around it and it will sleep fine in high winds and 40F, guaranteed. No reason to set up a camp where it's windy., either.

With a hot meal, hot drink, a bit of exercise, the bivvy and drum-liners will sleep fine at 35F, at least for a few hours. Given the net hammock around my torso, a bugnet bag around each leg, the other 3 drum liners, and the armor, it's going to sleep fine at 20F. Debris between those layers is bound to take it to 10F. If debris is wet, it wont be touching me. I can put it between the drum liners and the bivvy, and dry it out with a night of exercise and the UCO lantern and beeswax, or hot rocks/hot water bottles. Those last two items will take it down to 0F once the debris is dry. An oval of double-layered PEVA shower curtain can be clamped over the open end of the bivvy, with the one way projected heat of a Siberian fire lay "aimed" at the PEVA will let me sleep ok at -20F. for a couple of hours at a time. Then I'll have to do move the logs foward into the flames. I'll never be any place where it gets colder than that and it's a once in 5 year thing, and only at night, that it gets down to 0F here.

No need of 4 lbs of longjohns and heavy winter coat. The bivvy weighs 1.5 lbs, $90. He's out of the XL variant at the moment and the regular size is too small for a big man. It's long enough, at 7 ft, but too narrow across the shoulders., especially if you were to have a heavy coat on, which I insist upon having as an option. If shtf between 1 November and 1 March, I'm going to have a medium-weight coat either on me or in the vehicle. So there is another layer of (probable) protection.

The 2 zippers on the Trifecta meet in the middle of the seam. So you can have a vent anywhere you wish. and you can open it flat for use as a canopy if you need one, or lay it flat as a tarp to collect nuts, insects, berries, acorns, etc.
This is new. In past threads you've said that vehicles are bad idea....

as for the rest, you need to use it for real. You will be in for a rude awakening. and for real means, days on end without a house to retreat into when you realize the problems.

The issue here, isn't you trying these things, its that they are your first line gear. That's a bad idea. early on in any SHTF scenario, you will need to be at your sharpest. Good gear makes you well rested and 100% functional. Crappy gear means you're alive and little else. Why you insist on starting out crippled with your gear is a mystery.

Plus, you've never actually used your gear other than these short tests, which do not show you what you think they do. You don't know how much of an energy deficit your body is in, because you are aren't living out of this gear for any length of time. I doubt you'd make it a week.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts