Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

10" 223, sp handload,@LEAST=20",55 gr ball

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Aslan 
#1 ·
at 150m. :) By that range the fmj bullet no longer frags with any reliability at all, while the softpoint in the 10" barrel most certainly DOES still expand with great reliability and violence.

#2 ·
Everything else aside, as soon as handloads enter the picture, you are no longer using the GI round. And in general the the FMJ ball with the cannelure fragments better than the SP. You'd be ahead to handload a ballistic tip or a hollow point.

Something like these, which I loaded up for some varmint hunting.

:devil:

Attachments

#3 ·
Forgot to mention, the above rounds are loaded primarily for use on coyotes. Or the occasional fox and bobcat.

We have our elk hunt coming up, and if we fill our tags early, the rest of the time will be spent calling coyotes.

#5 ·
Yep, hunt them year round. We tend to back off in the early spring, to let them birth their pups.

We don't want to completely wipe them out - they are very challenging to hunt.

Calling predators is a lot of fun. You have to be pretty good at camo, know how to work the wind, have good scanning discipline, and be able to shoot pretty quickly.

You're hunting them by having them hunt you. It's said you only about 1/3 of what you actually call in.

I don't use an electronic call, I'm more of a purist and use a mouth call.

I've had hawks flair on me talons first when they realized something was not right. It was both totally cool and Oh Sh!t at the same time.

I have had heards of elk walk past me on either side of me. They could smell me, but could not see me. Ditto for turkeys, javelina, and deer. I'm pretty confident in my stalking and camo abilities.

Varmint hunt is my favorite type of hunting...

#9 ·
And gunkids 10" POSCAR (what happpen? The barrel used to be 11"???) is worthless in brush, totaly worthless with FMJ (so while the 20" AR would be good with either FMJ or SP, the 10" POSCAR isn't!)

Might as well carry a 9mm carbine than a 10" POSCAR. At least you wouldn't be kidding yourself.

#10 ·
The 11.5" 5.56mm barrel tends to very inaccurate due to several factors, including excessive muzzle blast. It's primarily a CQB weapon. Even the Israelis, who use a lot of them, only use them for CQB.

Only someone with minimal to zero long range shooting experience advocates short barrels with excessively hot loads for such purposes.

#11 ·
Aslan said:
Forgot to mention, the above rounds are loaded primarily for use on coyotes. Or the occasional fox and bobcat.

We have our elk hunt coming up, and if we fill our tags early, the rest of the time will be spent calling coyotes.

I skipped this thread on account of,,,well.

Best of luck on the elk hunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.