Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read an article today at work from the British Army "Soldier" magazine where they say you can actually drink your own urine............ I don't think so!!!!

Prepared for Battle
Ten Days of Water
in a Single Bag

No matter the challenge, HTI’s X Pack provides soldiers with ten days of pure drink on virtually any battlefield. Today’s soldier understands the unique challenges of modern warfare and the increased possibility of being isolated from traditional supply lines. In the face of difficulty, the X Pack allows a soldier to remain strong and on task by reliably supplying pure drink from almost any water source. Matter of fact, the X Pack can make the act of securing life sustaining drink as simple as finding the next mud puddle or polluted stream.

The X Pack requires no energy, fuel, moving parts, pumping, or chemical treatments. When filled with contaminated, dirty water through the large red port, the inner hydration pouch self-fills, creating up to 1.75 liters of pure drink. With each X Pack, this simple process can be repeated three times a day producing over four liters of pure drink every 24 hours for ten consecutive days. A second X Pack can supplement a soldier’s rucksack when greater water consumption is required.

When the bag is filled with contaminated water, the inner membrane blocks viruses, bacteria and parasites yet allows water to pass through to the inner pouch. HTI’s membrane is so tight that it has rejection capabilities two-hundred times greater than typical 0.1 micron hand-pump systems. With the X Pack, even heavy metals, pesticides and salts are reduced.

The X Pack works on the go. Once filled with supply water, the system is sealed and can be thrown into your pack and easily carried. Osmosis occurs in the background, and within hours pure drink can then be poured from the clean exit spout. The drink produced is comparable in quality to water produced by reverse osmosis systems costing thousands of dollars. Used around the world by the United States Marine Corp, Air Force, Army, and Special Operations community, this next generation technology is now trusted in times of war. Stop carrying heavy equipment that can break or clog and be prepared with HTI’s revolutionary X Pack.

www.hydrationtech.com

Attachments

Reactions: brass hammer

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That sounds like a very interesting system. For a downed flyer or lost hiker. I wonder though will it take salt water and turn it into drinking water. If so, it's a seaman's salvation!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
hey, I heard that some of the hostages in the russian school seige were drinkin their own piss on the second day...

I've been THIRSTY in the desert before, enough to look for tin cans with a drop of moisture left in them... believe me, out here, that pack might be a good thing.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Garand, actually, that is a very cool piece of gear.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
A good idea that everybody can use.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
you know, considering gunkid has no map or compass skills, that pack might mean the difference of life and death for him. I'm sure he would piss in it, that being his nature.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That's a really cool piece of kit for arid and possibly even marine environments.

It's fine and dandy to say you won't drink filtered piss until you're dying of thirst. If I was, well, shit...make it a double, with a twist of lime.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Problem is, there isn't a lot of filterable water in piss. You have a lot fo uric acid, urea, ammonium ions, general toxins, etc. You're better off with mud puddles.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally, I'll hold out for a mud puddle. But if the balloon ever goes up, I reserve the right to rethink that decision!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Garand said:
Personally, I'll hold out for a mud puddle. But if the balloon ever goes up, I reserve the right to rethink that decision!
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Ever see someone vomiting from the toxins from urine that they THOUGHT was filtered well (talk about a field test)? great idea, make yourself puke when you're critically dehydrated.

Granted, you may be in a position where you HAVE to try it, or die anyway. That's about the only way I'd try it, and it still doesn't make it a good idea, just the only one available.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
"8. Can I filter urine through HTI’s products and produce safe drink?

HTI’s products are not designed to filter urine. The system’s strength is its ability to work with very turbid water sources. However, due to the extremely tight membrane, HTI filters are capable of rejecting close to 90% of the salts in urine. In a crisis, HTI products have been used to filter urine and have been credited for saving lives.

9. Can I filter salt water or brackish water with the HTI system?

HTI’s current set of products are not designed to filter salt or brackish water. Water containing salt is inherently very high in osmotic pressure. To overcome this pressure, a greater pressure must be created within the clean-side of the HTI membrane. This can only be accomplished through the introduction of substantially more sugars to drive the osmosis. In addition, salt has a very small molecular weight, and can leak through HTI’s current membrane. To address this, HTI has created a new product called the Sea Pack. The Sea Pack features a very tight membrane that rejects even salt and can supply life-sustaining drink from even the world’s oceans."

Source: http://www.hydrationtech.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MHTI&Category_Code=TECH-FAQ

"Known as the HydroPack, the device can produce one liter of pure “nutrient liquid” from any water source — except salty or brackish water, as from a sea or marsh — no matter how dirty or contaminated.

“Any water source” includes urine, as U.S. special operations soldiers proved when they tested the device in Iraq last summer, Darsch said."

Source: http://www.stripesonline.com/article.asp?section=104&article=22022&archive=true

I'd like to see more results from independent testing carried out over 10 days with quantitative analysis of water purity. As it stands, though, I'd use it if I had no other choice, and its apparently safe to do so.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
MMMmmmmm, I can just see it now, lemonade in the desert wilderness, what a sweet/sour thought. If forced to do so, I would drink my own pee after trying to filter it in much less than this apparent 'miracle' sytem they seem to be advertising; so if I had their system it would be all the easier for me in such a situation.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Wylycoyte said:
That's a really cool piece of kit for arid and possibly even marine environments.

It's fine and dandy to say you won't drink filtered piss until you're dying of thirst. If I was, well, shit...make it a double, with a twist of lime.
hey! i've blown past "herds" of central americans, just 'knackkered-out ' along the WEST road to SELLS AZ. there is usaully a 1/2 full gallon jug of 'piss'
still in the grasp of [1] still standing! [i ain't shittin']

:headbang:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts