Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as far as any concerns about any greater difficulty in staying in the 10" chest circle, if the .45 is fired in a full size and wt 1911.; Same .18 second average times. Just a bit more tension in the hand and the Weaver-isometric, that's all. the reason guys "think" it's so vital to practice with same recoil as carry load is that they are STUPID about the ranges at which civilians have to fire. Sure, there's a difference at 20 ft, and quite a bit of diff at 30 ft, but 20 ft is a one in 100 fluke, and 30ft is one in 1000, for justfiable civilian self defense. 90% of the time, you dont have to fire at ALL, or a MISS suffices. 90% of the remainder of the time, it's at 10 ft or less. So 10 ft covers 99% of it. No, I AINT wrong about this. YOU are, and you're dumb to be SLOW at the ranges that MATTER (ie, 6ft and less).

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i don't agree, andy!

the first half of the post was pretty good!

the last half started to 'tailspin' i.e 6' is 'GRAPPLIN'' RANGE [or knife]

NOT 90% OF SHOOTIN' CONTACT FOR CIVLIANS @6'
perhaps i should reread your thread?

the .45 is a fearsome handgun[IN ANYBODYS VIEW] as a fast/follow-up
combat piece.[proven, over an over,time and again]

let's just say i value a certain % of YOUR views.

thanks. :wavey:

i reRED your topic THREAD!

a 10" circle at 10'[even with a.22 rimfire] that might be a bit tricky!

thanks for the heads-up! :wavey:

·
Registered
720 Posts
It seems to me the practice/carry recoil question is solid. Train like you fight is tried and true. Consistantcy of expectation eliminates a variable you do not want arising in a stressful situation. Been there, freaked out over that!
Now if you train for quick response as well as accuracy at longer ranges, that training will only SUPPORT one's efforts at bad-breath ranges. At those short ranges quickness is certainly vital, so that quickness of response is trained for at ALL ranges, and will become the default methodology.
Speed, accuracy, competence.
SatCong

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
If the balloon ever goes up, flexibility and versatility will help you stay alive.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
So do I.

Hard Ball

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Andy,

Know why most people practice with the same ammo and piece they use in real life situations that may involve a firefight, so they learn not to flinch, not to heel the gun in expectation of recoil and not to push the gun down in expectation of recoil. They need to get used to the actual recoil, because if they only fire a 22 in practice, then when they fire that first full recoil shot out of, let's say, a 45 or a 38 snubnose, well then it will hurt them and for their next shot they will anticipate (with fear) the recoil and screw up their future shots. You are so off the mark on this one, it almost makes me think you have never had any training in tactical use of firearms except what you taught yourself, or read in a book, and there you missed the mark.

You practice with a 22 to get familiar with weapons, or as a corrective emasure for someone who is afraid of recoil, or to save money on ammo, or just to have fun. You practice with the same exact rounds and ammo you will actually carry when you are very serious about sef defense or offensive shooting. Give this one a break, you really need to admit when you have gotten it wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts