Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
achieved 1400 fps in a regular 1911 for dean Grinell, in 1969. He swaged those bullets himself. No .460 Rowland cases, no heavy springs, no fully supported barrel.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Tried to buy any Unique lately? Took a lot of looking to get 2 8lb. jugs an 12 1 lb. cans. Use lots of it. 6.6 with a 200 swc in 45 acp, 8 gr in 45 long colt, 10 gr in 44mag with 250 gr swc, 5.5 with 150 to 170 gr swc in 38 spl. 4.5 with 9mm shoots great out of all my 9mm. Don't use it in 357, that gets 14.5 - 15gr of 2400

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
when you can get 165 grs to 1450 fps (safely) in a Commander, why not 70 grs to 2300 fps, hmm? :) Especially with the advantage of an extra 2 grs of powder that fits in a huge conical base cavity. you wind up using so much Bullseye that it petrifies most reloaders to think about it. (think 11+ grs in the .460 case) but the really lw bullets get moving so easily that the firing-pressures drop like a rock. having a 4" .44 mag's 800 ft lbs on tap, with LESS recoil than .45 ball, in an alloy Commander seems surreal, but it's quite feasible to attain with the hollowbased, solid copper 70 gr hp .45 bullet. The skirts of the hollowbased bullet compress easily as the bullet goes down the rifling, which reduces pressures, too. There's very little of the bullets sides in contact with the rifling.

Removing 1" of the rifling in front of the chamber, allows the hollowbase (hb) skirts to open wider, letting the bullet get moving even easier, allowing the use of much more powder, getting about 950 ft lbs out of a commander, (70 grs at 2450 fps), while retaining the same recoil as .45 ball ammo. The blast and flash are stupendous, of course. The ignorant are 'certain" that this can't be done, but the facts show otherwise.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
If need something a little more weight there is the 230 TC Lee bullet but if tumble lubed they lead the heck out of a barrel.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont want unique, don't want bullet weight, either. Bullseye is what's needed for the velocities stated, unique wont even move the slide with these super lw bullets. Fact is, for what you're doing in Ill, a .22lr is about right. why bother with any centerfire? it's just tin cans, anyway. A suppressed .22 would be perfect for the job.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Bull is for light target loads.3.2 with any 38 bullet.
If I want a light weight bullet, a 40 gr. 22 will do. Or a 55 gr.HornadaySP out of AR

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not with hollowbased 70 gr hp's, they wont. Doesn't matter what you hit tin cans with, joe. .22 works fine. so does airsoft. this thread is about max-effective defensive ammo.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when a load makes as much difference as the Split Nose does, it's the best time-spent you'll ever have.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Split-Nose Stockpiling..

Rumor has it that BBM is using his favorite jack knife to modify his stash of 20,000 AirSoft rounds into split-nose killers so that he'll be ready when SHTF happens..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Rumor has it that BBM is using his favorite jack knife to modify his stash of 20,000 AirSoft rounds into split-nose killers so that he'll be ready when SHTF happens..
"BBM"..?

ask Joe what he thinks about what I might do if you said something like that to my face.
Ooh, ooh; I know this one. "Shoot all bystanders", right?

You know John, some of us lift weights, do manual work, and shoot guns on a regular basis; and that may be part of why we aren't particularly intimidated by the random internet threats of self-proclaimed 40lb-overweight senior citizens. Just something to think about...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts