Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
308 is available, too(alloy frame) With the BOSS compensator on it, it is a pretty mellow pc, not enough heavier than a Scout Rifle to notice, same range and power, and FARmore potential than any bolt action will ever have.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Its not built to take prolonged rugged duty and long periods of firing. Thats the reason we use military rifles. For your limited purposes a Remington 742 would do.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
A Springfield M1A Scout is only about 1 pound more and 10x as tough plus 10 and 20 round mags are no problem for that one and it's legal everywhere.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
mrostov said:
A Springfield M1A Scout is only about 1 pound more and 10x as tough. !0 and 20 round mags are no problem for that one and it's legal everywhere.
& there's an even more compact version coming out soon.The new American Rifleman has a write up on it.Shorter (16.5in?)barrel w/a much improved muzzle break.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hmm, I'd have to think about the 16.5" barrel. I packed around an HK91 for years and it had a barrel that was just a tad under 18", and it was just about right, barrelwise.

Read an interesting test done once a long time ago, gun writer named Bob Milek, where he took some gear (IIRC he used a mechanical rifle rest and a chrono) and a .308 bolt action with a bull barrel. The whole idea was to try and see just what was the best minimum barrel length for a .308 rifle.

He would shoot some, then have a bit of the barrel cut off and recrowned, then shoot some more, repeating the process. He started off with a barrel that I think was about 24" long and worked his way down from there. It was quite the involved process.

His conclusion from the test was that the best minimum barrel length for a .308 was about 18".

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I would like Remington to make their Police carbine, the .308 pump, out of the 7400 simi-auto instead of that stupid pump. I understand they re-enforce the action and with the ghost ring sights, it would make a pretty fair multi-purpose rifle.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
223 fan said:
308 is available, too(alloy frame) With the BOSS compensator on it, it is a pretty mellow pc, not enough heavier than a Scout Rifle to notice, same range and power, and FARmore potential than any bolt action will ever have.
I own a BAR in 30/06. It's a fine HUNTING rifle and could be used for sniping, in a pinch. It is not a combat rifle, and was never meant to be. Why on God's green earth would you want to put a monstrosity like an extended magazine on it? The barrel would heat up in a New York minute and probably be ruined in short order. An M-1 Garand or M1AI would certainly serve you better. A combat rifle is made for combat, extended fire, rough use. As much as I like my Browning, even a SMLE or M48A Mauser would be a better choice.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
mrostov said:
His conclusion from the test was that the best minimum barrel length for a .308 was about 18".
Define "best" in his terms, please.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Accuracy combined with decent velocity retention.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
mrostov said:
Read an interesting test done once a long time ago, gun writer named Bob Milek, where he took some gear (IIRC he used a mechanical rifle rest and a chrono) and a .308 bolt action with a bull barrel. The whole idea was to try and see just what was the best minimum barrel length for a .308 rifle.
I remember that article.I liked how he wrote.Not too technical,he had a real world style.IIRC his byline showed him w/a Contender in his right hand & a rockchuck in his left.

It'd be nice to have the $ to be able to slice & dice barrels to find the best load too... :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts