Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 50 "Sport Ammo Corporation" mini shells that I bought in a lot auction 20 years ago. They are made of metal with the opening in the base fitting a .22 LR shell or a shotgun primer. They fit into the chamber of a 12 Gauge and are about an inch long. The sides are fluted. Any idea what these are, or what they were used for? They come 10 to a box. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I remember reading that Remington, maybe Savage or Mossberg made a smooth bored "weapon" that looked like a 22 cal rifle many years ago. It shot 22 cal shotshells and was used for a game called "Mo-Skeet". It had a tiny little thrower and everything. Those things are somewhat collectible nowadays . Maybe those shells were used in that gun.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Raider said:
I remember reading that Remington, maybe Savage or Mossberg made a smooth bored "weapon" that looked like a 22 cal rifle many years ago. It shot 22 cal shotshells and was used for a game called "Mo-Skeet". It had a tiny little thrower and everything. Those things are somewhat collectible nowadays . Maybe those shells were used in that gun.

RIKA
Impossible. Look at these things. I apologise for not posting them before. I hate to admit it, but they have got me beat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Raider said:

RIKA
As a sideline, I remember reading a couple of months ago about a recent manufacture of smoothbore .22LR long guns. The authur tested them on Ritz thrown as skeet....lol.

I was sorely tempted to get one JUST to be a spartbutt. On the WMA I have hunted alligators on in the past, the rule is shotguns only to used to finish off captured alligators. Slugs are legal in those shotguns. (...too many people a couple of hundred acres away in open marshes for rifles to be used without some safety concerns.) This pisses my off because I have ALWAYS used a .22LR from a chipmunk to finish off the alligators since it messes up the least jowl meat and hide. (I've been using a .410 with buckshot, but that is irrelevant.)

So, I figured it I got one of those, I could argue that it was a .22 caliber SHOTGUN (legal) and a .22LR was just a 22-caliber SLUG. Since the longest shot on a captured alligator is usually less than 6 inches, accuracy isn't a concern.

BUT, since I worked on that WMA, I figured it wouldn't be worth my while to rock THAT boat. I wish some other hunter would do it, though.
KJ

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Terry G said:
Impossible. Look at these things. I apologise for not posting them before. I hate to admit it, but they have got me beat.
You're right. Impossible. Hope somebody can identify those things.

RIKA

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
industrial fastener

would be my .02 with what i have gleened, i grew up in the oil field,but thats an odd ball pic.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: industrial fastener

brass hammer said:
would be my .02 with what i have gleened, i grew up in the oil field,but thats an odd ball pic.
No way, No how. Look at the picture. It say's 12 Gauge. It fits into the chamber of a 12 Gauge.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I worked for an industrial cleanup outfit

for a while. They told me that single shot 10 gauges, with some sort of specialized (steel "dust"?) shells were used to knock off thick, hard "scale" from the roofs of some sort of buildings. maybe power-plants, or refineries? I forget. There's a fair amount of specialized "ammo' made for industrial uses of one sort or another. Why you would use a .22 in a 12 ga tho, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I've seen the inserts to convert a 12 gaugecrack barrel to a .22LR, .357 Magnum, 10 gauge, etc. These are what brings those to mind, but I wouldhave NO idea why they were sold in boxes greater than one or two.... unless they were meant for resale individually at a gunshop?????

KJ

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
12 Gauge Mysteries

KJUN said:
I've seen the inserts to convert a 12 gaugecrack barrel to a .22LR, .357 Magnum, 10 gauge, etc. These are what brings those to mind, but I wouldhave NO idea why they were sold in boxes greater than one or two.... unless they were meant for resale individually at a gunshop????? From yhe way they are boxed, I would say they were for sale BY the box.

KJ

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I think that both brass hammer & 223whatshisname are on the right path.
I searched for but have been unable to find a match.IIRC Winchester makes industrial rounds through at least 10 gauge for ram set like guns.also used to break set-up concrete & the like.will keep searching....I have seen them before.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
41mag said:
I think that both brass hammer & 223whatshisname are on the right path.
I searched for but have been unable to find a match.IIRC Winchester makes industrial rounds through at least 10 gauge for ram set like guns.also used to break set-up concrete & the like.will keep searching....I have seen them before.
I have to disagree. These were made by a sporting goods outfit and sold to a sporting goods store. They ARE a sub-caliber device I just cannot determine what for. The closet answer l think I have gotten is that they would shoot .22 LR shotshells as a training device, but no one knows for sure. This is the first time not one person in five forums has come up with an answer. I'm amazed.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Are there any threads in the end opposite the firing pin?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Shotgun grenade launcher blanks!

They could be for some type of reduced load in something like a damascus shotgun - just a guess, for exhibition type shooting...

Again, just theory and idle speculation....

:devil:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I must say you guys are all wrong??

Ok terry I found out some info for you I had emailed the pictures to remington arms and heres there response. I will also email you the info also and it is also posted at glock guns

Thank you for your inquiry. This type of ammunition is used for the
purpose of simulation of a shotgun blast. It was used in the past for
sporting events that began as a "Shotgun Start". This is all of the
information that we currently have on this type of ammunition. We hope that this little bit will help.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
you know, that had occured to me, like the shotgun start of a golf tourney....

makes sense.

:devil:

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ain't Buying it

I don't care what Remington say's, why go to the bother of advertising a "mini-shell" at 10 per box, for a sporting "Golf?" event. You could take the shot out of a 12 Gauge and make the racket for FREE! No way, No how. Look at these again. They are made for some type of sub-caliber munition. Somebody out there must know what there for.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts