Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance at a pair of 16" artillery shells for cheap. They would make great driveway markers, maybe even with illuminated nose cones. Any known dealios on displaying these? Just wondering what 9-11 had for an effect on " dangerous devices"...even tho they are inert. Hate to have a wondering BATF agent accidently spot them...... and then show up with a full team the next day in flak jackets and HK's drawn......looking to arrest the first head that pops out. They did that very same thing here to a guy that was in the biz of hacking TV signals for farmers with the old 10' satelite dishes. A bit overkill I would say!........

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I'm assuming they aren't live. If they are inert, I don't see where you would have any problem. But heck, I think fake hand grenades are illegal in Florida. Seems to me I read something about that in the Florida Statutes a long while back. So you never know. Call BATF and ask them. They probably won't know either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pictures..........haven't got a reply back to my offer on them yet either. It would be cool to have them at the entrance of the drive way with some sort of spiffy /pointed lamp in the fuse hole......:) :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut the "Deal of the Century" and got them home today! They are not 16",but rather 280 MM(aprox 11 inch) They stand 49.5 inches tall without the fuse. Markings are:6C35,LOT MDV 9-13 1954,280MM,T122E4,A S FIRED WEIGHT 601 LBS. I asumed that 601 LBS is empty weight. I got the nose lifting ring screwed off and they were indeed empty(pweh!) The pair of them blew a tire on the snowmobile trailer in ten feet.......a whole nother other story! Driving bands are in good shape with only minor flat spots from handling over the years. Anyways,pretty cool little boys to stand tall on display someday. Anyone know how to refinish these guys? Not rusted,so I'm thinking paint stripper and a fresh coat of mil spec OD? Any sugestions?

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
As an Ammunition Technician when I was in the Army we had to refurbish 155mm Smoke rds on one occasion. Its been 23 years since I've done it but we used a honking big wire brush on a drill using a moderate speed.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Rich Z said:
Call BATF and ask them. They probably won't know either.
I think that having a letter from the BATF would be better than a phone call.

RIKA

·
Registered
296 Posts
i second the letter from the batf.
found a pair of 4ft long by 18" bombs today at a junkyard/surplus place today.
thinking one would make a great mailbox. but 1st i will have to ask if they are really practice bombs(blanks) (thinking they are but you never know alot of dud and unexploded ordanance in yuma.)

oh well have a nice day
sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts