Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question I have been unable to figure out the CORRECT answer to. Hoping someone here can educate me.

When fitting a barrel hood to a slide, should contact be left between the hoodface and the breachface? (Not talking about the sides of the hood extension, only the back part - the face of the hood extension).

I have narrowed the issue down (correctly, I hope, to this): Absent hoodface to breachface contact when the pistol is locked up, is there anything physical in the lockup mechanics other than hoodface-to-breachface contact that would prevent the lower lugs of even a properly fitted barrel from locking up at a different point on the slide-stop pin each time the gun returns to battery?

Would love to hear the opinions of more experienced folks.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I would like to know the answer also.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol! Where'd you get the squirrel photo! That's a HOOT!!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
bigjon sorry it took so long to reply. but i been in vegas doing that gambling thing. as for barrel fitting i've never really had a big issue with hood fitting, put some clay or layout blue and find out how much lug contact you have. if your having a problem with lug contact try using some longer barrel links, and or shorter ones and see how the fit is first, if your getting good lug contact check the slide and see if its a little out of spec or not. if the slide is ok then check the barrel hood numbers. if the barrel and slide are in spec then it has to be the barrel link or the link pin hole. good luck let me know what you find out. :cool:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, neo. No, I didn't have any problem - was just an academic question. I fit the first Kart barrel I did with no contact between hoodface and breachface. Have digressed (or may progressed?) since and am leaving about .001 between. That seems to give me contact - just slight contact once the gun works in a bit.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
sounds like a plan bigjon. keep us informed as to your progress.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts