Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did up a few graphics awhile back to show how certain things function in 1911 pistols, and how certain modifications can cause troubles. Thought I'd post them here in case they might be of use as a reference item for folks who may be starting out building 1911s. These are not to-scale. They aren't intended to be. I exagerated angles and other things to better show what I was gettin' at.

This one explains how a disconnector functions during the firing cycle.

And this one shows areas where folks commonly make mistakes when they're first startin' out.

Hope these are of use.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The disconnector is probably the most overlooked part in the 1911 types. Thanks.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're sure right about that, R. And you know, for some reason, that makes me remember something else that might be of use to someone who may not completely understand everything the disconnector does related to other parts. If you take the recoil spring out of the gun and then reassemble it, it can be interesting to push the slide slowly backwards while holding the trigger depressed and feel the parts interact.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
good informative post bigjon. a better description is not available that i know of. good job guy. but don't let all of the little secrets out, we won't be given that gun guru look anymore.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol! I'm witcha, neo. The sad thing, though, that on some other forums (not all!), information is given so arrogantly, and often in such a convoluted manner when answers to questions are even given, lots of would-be builders probably dismiss out-of-hand the idea that they can build a really great 1911 themselves. Sad, but hey, that's the net.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
now bigjon we need a good run down on the grip safety and its relationship to the trigger return spring. also the thumb safety, to show why all those folks that don't understand them, why they can be so hard to put in easily on reassembly. you do good graphics that are out of my league dude.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now bigjon we need a good run down on the grip safety and its relationship to the trigger return spring. also the thumb safety, to show why all those folks that don't understand them, why they can be so hard to put in easily on reassembly. you do good graphics that are out of my league dude.
Okay. I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for. Are you asking how to re-install everything?

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
no what i was thinking was a diagram showing the relationship of the components and how they interact, and cause the problems most people see when reassembling. especially the hammer, sear, thumb safety, and plunger tube pin.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll do it in a separate thread.

Best,
Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts