Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at purchasing a 1911, however everything I've read shows the Glock, Sig, and Hk to be much more reliable, yet they also look boring IMHO. A 1911 getting a failure every 100 to 1000 rounds verus a Glock or Hk going 8000+ rounds without a jam!

Are there any 1911's that are very reliable? Is the 1911's internal extractor that delicate and problematic?

Or are there any pistols with Glock-like mechanics and a 1911 look and feel?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I had a Kimber Tac Custom II full size and it was reliable with certain kinds of ammo, especially crappy stuff oddly enough. It ended its life at ~27,000 rounds as the rails were displaying substantial off axis wear.

Compared to my Sig P226 it was stupid finicky. Keeping in mind that my Sig is 9mm, which has more case taper and hence (oversimplification here) more reliable feeding compared to the .45 ACP, It Doesn't F$ck Up. It's also perfectly happy being run dry, and is a fine host for a suppressor.

The 1911 certainly "felt" better but the Sig I presently enjoy is a much more capable tool. 1911s are great guns when they work right, but there's so little quality control and compensation/understanding for/of aftermarket non-standard parts that the mechanics of the weapon are generally adversely affected and the rate of "lemon" guns is ludicrously high.

Whoever said that a Glock could go 8k rounds without a malfunction needs to lay off the space cake. There isn't a handgun that can consistently do that, and while Glocks are very capable pistols the slides are occasionally a little too low on kinetic energy to fully chamber a round; the grimier the conditions are and the higher the round count, the more likely this will happen.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have not personally experienced failures every 100 to 1000 rounds with any 1911 that I have owned (4 Springfields, 3 Colts, and 1 Kimber). As a matter of fact, I have shot a couple of Llamas that exceeded that standard of reliability.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have several 1911 styles and manufactures, I would stay away from the short or compact 1911's as I have had several FTF problems (Kimber Ultra Carry II). Full size, believe it or not If Taurus would get rid of some of the safety features which tend to break, I would recommend the PT945. It is full sized and has a magnificent trigger setup, super accurate (and I mean this bad boy will pluck dead center), easy to clean... but too much safety crap that tend to break thus unreliable.

Look at a Colt and do some mods (sights and grips maybe rod spring), yeah, colt... solid, good company, great gun.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a couple of 1911's, and shot one in the service...(yes,i'm that old)
and have found the standard issue - no frills - to be very reliable and accurate enough for self defence...

I just can't fathom why anyone would go drop a grand or more on a weapon and then EXPECT to pay for upgrades and improvements just to get the damn thing to work right.....

I bought a new Rem. R-1 in august. Have put a few hundred rounds of ball and ranger ammo thru it without a failure after the first fifty rounds....
If it did not work reliably, it would go back to the factory and be fixed for FREE, or I would demand a full refund...

Anything else would be like getting a new car and then told it won't run right without rebuilding the engine first

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm glad to see some positive input on the Remington R-1. I looked at one recently and was impressed by it but I have not yet had the opportunity to shoot one.

·
Registered
9,962 Posts
I currently have 5 Colt 1911's that I use in competition, 2x 1914 mfg, 1x 1916 mfg, a Series 70 and a Combat Commander and all function flawlessly. In 3 of the 5 guns only the barrel (not original barrels) was throated and polished. This allowed me to use a wider variety of bullet designs rather than just ball. After all what other handgun can say that it has been in combat for 99 years?(Certainly not a glock)

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only 1911s I had that functioned correctly are old milsurps, and a Springfield Mil-Spec.

IMO, the 1911 world is dominated by gamers and MT folks that demand accuracy that is not required in a combat weapon, and the makers subsequently make them too tight.

Even the supposed top line weapons are like this. I had two Series 70 Colts that were total, unmitigated, jammamatic junk. Even after several trips back, Colt couldn't get them to work.

It's completely assinine, again IMO, for someone to drop a huge sum on the semi-custom "combat" guns, only to have to fire them in to the tune of 1000 rounds for a "break in", or lap them into functioning.

The proper ones, IMO, are the ones that rattle like they are about to fall apart when out of battery, and continue to do so until about 1/4" from being completely in battery, wherein they should still rattle a bit, but not much.

Guns like those, that I have, will shoot 3-4" at 20 meters, and they are reliable to the point that I feel comfortable throwing them in mud out of battery, getting them completely covered, bring it into battery, and it will still shoot, and spray everyone with mud in a 12 foot radius.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have shot a couple of Kimbers (friends' and families' weapons), a Les Baer (somebody else's) and they were incredibly accurate with virtually no slop and then I remember the first 1911 (not an A1) that was manufactured in 1918 and I carried for 2 years in the early '80s and remembered how much rattle it had. But that pistol went boom every time the trigger was pulled, it did shoot a one foot group at 25 yards, but six inches left or right or up or down of center of mass is still vital organs isn't it?

I have to agree with Cpl Punishment having some slop is good for the reliability...

·
Registered
9,962 Posts
As of a gun show yesterday I now have a 3rd 1914 mfg Colt Commercial Model, I expect it to function as well as my others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts