Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how, if its possible, I could cut my overtravel down just a bit on my Kimber Tac Custom 2. There is a little hex screw in the bottom of the trigger but in all honesty I do not know if that affects # pull or overtravel or simply keeps the thing together. Is it that simple or is there some major endeavor involved? If anyone can help me Id be most appreciative.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The little screw down in the face of your trigger is the overtravel screw. It is adjusted with a hex wrench. It does not affect trigger pull but if you adjust for total absolute minimum overtravel you can create an unsafe condition (experiment with unloaded gun and you will discover what it is). I did this: adjust for minimumk overtravel and then backed the screw out one turn; This allows a tiny bit of slop which is desirable. I then used Loctite to set the screw in place.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
By unsafe condition, I'm assuming that you're talking about unsafe for the owner/operator in a self defense situation, correct?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rika, Ill go find a hex wrench that will fit it and tell of my results.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
tuna said:
By unsafe condition, I'm assuming that you're talking about unsafe for the owner/operator in a self defense situation, correct?
Hi Tuna. The overtravel screw is designed to make a positive stop against the magazine release button that passes through the 1911 frame when the trigger is pulled. It can be so closely adjusted so that the trigger stops at the very moment the sear is released with no further backward travel. If adjusted that close, the hammer/sear are in such close proximity that the slightest wiggle between them can cause chipping. Not only that but the slightest forward/rearward movement of the trigger finger during recoil can cause a second shot to be accidentally fired. Not good. Now if you adjust the stop so the trigger can safely move just beyond the release point then everything can reset itself normally and safely. IMO a very short overtravel is good only for a target gun. On a self defense gun or one for IPSC I would want a little overtravel for safety.

Just to add, if the overtravel screw works forward it can make it impossible to fire the pistol until readjusted. Thats the reason they aren't allowed in combat.

Its hard for me to put into words; much better to have a 1911 and see and feel what I'm talking about.

RIKA

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
OK, on what I was referring to was setting it so far in that you couldn't fire the pistol. I did that once, and promptly put the thing back where it was supposed to be and stopped playing with the )&)(*_** thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts