1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
if the carbine doesn't win, with just a class B shottist vs the best in the world with 1911's, o everything beyond 50 ft, you've got a SLOW guy on the carbine

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Big fan of the 1911 and M1 carbine both. There are absolutely better guns for most purposes nowadays, but maybe due to being an old fart who grew up with those two, I wouldn't be worried if they were 'all' I had to defend myself with.

It's stunning to me how the M1 carbine can be as capable as it is while being as tame to shoot as it is. The power of a .44 magnum revolver, but in a gun that shoots softer than a lot of weaker guns, even softer than a typical 9mm AR carbine. When my 8 year old neice shot one of my a long time ago (she's a nurse in Houston now), her dad had to look up the numbers before believing that it put out more power than his 7.5" .357 deer-hunting revolver.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Admittedly there are better platforms, but if sleepy joe wins down in your neck of the woods, you guys will be facing the "mandatory buyback" that we are. While AR's will not magically disappear overnight there will be less of them available in the future. Right now I see it as a nice game gun out to 100 yds (like a .357 mag) and a good small game cartridge.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Biggest advantage they had at the time was cost. I got lucky on mine; was able to buy two of them through a limited program 15-18 years ago. There was some (temporary..?) allowance of re-importation of surplus ones, and I got them for $159 and $169. I traded one off to a friend of mine a couple years ago & so only have one left, but like it a lot.

Don't know what they cost now, but last time I looked, they were as high as an AR, and other than a possible immunity to bans, I don't see an advantage at that price point. Similar with the ammo. The rounds I shot yesterday were WW white box that I paid $9-something for years ago. It's gone up much like the guns have; or had last time I looked. I don't have much over a thousand rounds for it, but I don't shoot it recreationally, so that's more than a lifetime supply for me & probably my kids as well.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Right now there’s no point in getting one, unless I stumble across a deal, but it would be fun to have one...

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I paid $800.00 (Cdn) for mine and the thought of buying factory ammo never occurred to me. While the dies were expensive, I had no problem finding brass for sale nor cast lead bullets. I had one during the '70's that due to my inexperience didn't bother to learn its idiosyncrasies and sold it quickly. Unfortunately due to attempts to change current firearms laws up here, it became necessary to find an alternative to my AR for 3 gun matches.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
...would be fun to have one...
When my dad was still alive, I gave him one of mine as he had no long guns at the time and had moved from an apartment to a house. The M1 carbine was his favorite weapon in WW2, and he really liked it. When he moved in with his girlfriend some years later (I think he was 87-88 at the time; old guy had spunk), he gave it back to me.

I confess that even though it's an objectively fine gun on its own merits (as I rediscovered this past weekend), the nostalgia aspect probably plays a factor in how much I like mine. Knowing that it's the same model that my dad carried as a ranger in ww2, plus the advantage of having much better ammo choices than he had, makes me like it a lot.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I opened my front door this morning and it was like an early Christmas. The nice postal lady left me a nice box containing 1,000 cast lead RN .309" 100 grain bullets to play with.

Reactions: Dorobuta
1 - 11 of 11 Posts