Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the hammer and the sear, but a lot of them are not to spec, so the safety only engages the sear. If you cut off the engaging lug of the grip safety, you can remove it without bothering to remove the mainspring housing. Thats handy when you've installed setscrews thru the frame and into blind holes in each side of the Mainspring housing. this setscrew mod prevents tearing out of the frame, below the MSH pin, and is highly recommended for guns use for hot loads, especially alloy frames.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
John Browning designed an excellent pistol to operate within certain design specs. Its only been around for 93 years. I like the unmonkeyed with version with some of my own simple mods added.

Okay, I'm a hypocrite but I only make changes that John would have made if he had lived. :D

RIKA

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never messed around with alloy frames but I am interested to try them out. Most of my 1911's are either series 70 or Springfield varients in 45 acp but I do still have some 38 super Colts I would be willing to bastardize in the name of testing and to save some weight and maybe a Springfield. Plus the hottest thing I will shoot is +p loads, so will that work with an alloy frame with no problems?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plus p .38 or .45? It mainly depends upon how many rds you intend to fire. I see no reason to fire a lot of such loads, not even in the steel frame. If I did, I'd try to keep such shooting to a minimum in the alloy frame, and do 90% of such stuff with the steel frame.

·
Registered
20 Posts
+ p on the 45 only. I don't trust off the wall or odd ball loads in Super 38.

So the alloy frame would be pretty much useless shooting +p on it. Would stock loads work and make it last longer?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
bcfos said:
I never messed around with alloy frames but I am interested to try them out. Most of my 1911's are either series 70 or Springfield varients in 45 acp but I do still have some 38 super Colts I would be willing to bastardize in the name of testing and to save some weight and maybe a Springfield. Plus the hottest thing I will shoot is +p loads, so will that work with an alloy frame with no problems?
If I were you, I would go to http://www.1911forum.com/ and ask for 1911 advice there.

"Andy" aka GunKid, and other dubious sobriquets, knows nothing about 1911 modifications.

"Andy" is not a gunsmith, nor is he qualified to gve you any advice on firearms. However, if you want to listen to him, make sure your insurance is paid up in advance, wear safety glasses, and a crash helmet -- you'll need it.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I should have suggested a flack jacket too

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
HEy if you want to take gunsmithing advice from a CONVICTED FELON like andy, knock yoruself out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts