Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
to get a lousy 400 rds per hour. In today's money, that would be $3000. One set of dies only (.45 of course). It came with only one powder- charge bar, couldnt buy another, either. It was set for 3.5 grs of bullseye. I altered it to be adjustable up to 4.8 grs. It was set for loading swc's, I had to alter the nose punch (epoxy) to load lrn's.

I think Ross siefried was correct. For match training, it is an error to use 200 grs at 750 fps in practice and then shoot matches with 230 grs at 850 fps. It would not matter for realistic defense, but for match performance at the highest levels, better train with something about 10% HEAVIER in blast/recoil than your match load, if you're going to shoot a .45 at all. Me, tho, I'd just shoot 9mm. I need to work on getting all A's, anyway.:) 158 gr lrn at 900 fps for practice, and then lighten it up to 800 fps for matches. The extra "load' of peer pressure should not be added to ammo that is harder to control than your normal load. Those speeds, and that long a bullet, and the right bullet lube, let you get zero bore fouling, even without having to add tin and antimony to the wheel weight alloy.

Also, after practice establishes your best time for all A's, on a given match, best to practice at about 90% of that speed, and back off the ranges by about 50%. On match day, then, the adrenalin-dump of peer pressure will not push you off the edge of being fully controled but as fast as you can be, getting a perfect point-total on the targets. For realistic training, a C is every bit as good as an A, but more than 1-2 c's per match and you will lose, against top competition.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker kit in '86, and I still use it. Great piece of kit.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
I've been using the same match load in .45 acp for 28 years now, and its never failed me. 5.3 grains of W231 pushing a 200 grain cast lead semi wadcutter at 847.7 fps. Never seen a reason to change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts