Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and they dont come apart when you toss and turn on them.This is with them being laid end to end. No need to do anyhing but tie the tops of them. \

Two such liners are not, however, wide enough to cover the top side of you and drape down. I used 3 of them, turned sideways over me, taped together, cause they DO come apart when you roll over and they work fine at 32F, However, if you're as big as me, you can't just tie their mouths shut by twisting the ends of the liners. They will not be long enough to drape-down and properly cover you if you do.

What works is to tape the ends of the bags shut. this gives you about 9" more effective length of the bag You'll have to tape or tie them in both directions, both to hold them together as one "over bag" and to e fully encompass yourself in a bag configuration, so as to get their full value as insulative bag.

After I laid down on them and pressed out the air, they are about 6" thick.

So my idea of stuffing debris between the folds of a 10x10 tarp, folding it again and then taping it into a big sleeping bag, for the Alone show, is a sound one. It going to add at least 30F degrees of warmth. and that's all I'll need, given the 5 layers of clothing that I'm allowed to take, all worn at once, sized to allow me to put debris between each layer and then to also wrap myself in a poncho, leggings and breech-clout made of reflective tarp, also with debris trapped between those items and my outside layer of clothing.

This lets me not waste a pick on a sleeping bag, which lets me take the 12x12 tarp, half of it reflectorized, while the other half of the tarp is double-thickness, clear PEVA shower curtain. This traps a layer of air, while letting me use the one way projected heat of a Siberian fire lay, outside of the shelter, to warm me enough to let me make pottery, when the outside temps are below-freezing.

Using a tarp-lined pit in which to stone boil, until I can make 3-4 of the 1 gallon pots with lids, will be a pita, but it lets me not waste a pick on the 2 qt cookpot, which lets me take the big roll of duct tape, The tape is in-valuable for repairs, making the tarp "clothing', the raft pontoons, the SEALED tarp lean-to, the food bags, dry bags for tinder, the bait bags, the basket-buckets needed to refine the workable clay out of the shoreline mud, which later become the mouse-drowning traps and the chamber-pots, once I have to hole-up from the cold.

I can use the duct tape to fletch field made arrows, adequate for bow-fishing and for scaring distant flocks of fowl away from spots where i dont have traps set for them. Hopefully, then, they will land where I do have traps and decoy birds set.

Knowing how to fire-roll and make the big pump drill lets me not waste a pick on a ferrorod. This lets me take the 3 lb block of salt, so needed as bait for big animal, for proper hydration, to choke down bland food, and to preserve fish before freezing weather does so for me.

By not needing a warming fire, I can get by with taking the Cold Steel shovel, modified to have 8" of real saw edge and the modified Crunch. That means that I dont need to waste picks on the belt knife, axe, or saw.

By taking a slingbow, i dont have to lose/damage arrows by shooting at small game. I can just make 100 baked clay balls when I make the cookpots. Taking the 3 piece takedown arrrows lets me always have my projectile weapon on my person. Later, for entertainment, I can make iceballs as 'ammo" for the slingbow.

By taking two person rope hammock, I dont need to take the paracord or the gill net. This savings lets me take the pemmican, which keeps me going-hard for a few days as I make netting. The pemmican also provides bait until i can catch a few fish.

It's not going to be cold enough to require all the above more than the last month and a guy can always just add the head-sized hot rocks, in the pits under the raised, debris covered bed. Bury them in the dirt, with a couple of inches of ashes around the stones and an inch of ashes over them and they'll give off heat for at least 4 hours This means that even if I dont get the 2 inches of snow needed to make an igloo, I'm still ok with just the lean-to and wont need a warming fire.

It's always nice to have one's genius-insight proven to be correct. :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
...It's always nice to have one's genius-insight proven to be correct. :)
Nothing is 'proven' until it's demonstrated; and you've demonstrated nothing. You've even gone so far as to say that that you have no intention of demonstrating anything. Proof of a theory requires demonstration of that theory. And the only two things you've demonstrated are verbal bluster and a repeated willingness to surrender when facing anyone with a badge.

And again, using debris for sleeping insulation is not a new concept, invention, or even discovery. Hoboes have been doing it for generations, and small animals have been doing it for millennia.

All that said, it would still be interesting to see this setup demonstrated; been totally serious about that. I've got no problem learning new things or new ways of doing things, but you haven't demonstrated any yet.

·
Registered
9,718 Posts
An intelligent prepper will choose kit that is not only good for a 365 day change in temperature, but is also mobile. In a SHTF scenario if you have to be mobile, you also need to consider the part about being bumped at zero dark thirty. Which means you have to be able for fight or flight in seconds after you wake. Life could get very difficult if you have to leave half your gear behind. Melvin you make the assumption that under the cover of darkness you will be very comfortable and physically safe settling down in your "camp" site, nothing could be further than the truth.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
You talk about a fire lay and not needing a fire in the same post...

So which is it?

Why not try making the clay balls and try hunting with them? You may be in for a shock.
Likewise with the pots...

Also, since you’ve done the barrel liners, you should be able to post a couple pictures - if you actually did any of this. Or did you just think really Hard about it.

While I admire your focus, do you really think you will ever be on the show?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's not going to be cold enough to require all the above more than the last month and a guy can always just add the head-sized hot rocks, in the pits under the raised, debris covered bed. Bury them in the dirt, with a couple of inches of ashes around the stones and an inch of ashes over them and they'll give off heat for at least 4 hours This means that even if I dont get the 2 inches of snow needed to make an igloo, I'm still ok with just the lean-to and wont need a warming fire.

It's always nice to have one's genius-insight proven to be correct. :)
until you melt your stuff or give yourself 3rd degree burns attempting this.

Have you actually tried this? Ever? or are you just theorizing without any practical experience to back it up?

You should actually do these things. You won't, but you should.

Given your track record, of posting like this, then admitting you couldn't try any of it because you didn't have a yard at the time, doesn't inspire any confidence you've done anything at all.

Pictures or it is more lies on your part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts