Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the XL variant. It's hard to get even a couple of hours without the temps changing significantly, I just spent 2 hours, from 38F to 42F on the couch, in just cammies, balaclava, gloves, socks, unlaced shoes, inside of the bivy and 55 gallon drumliners. and was comfortable. The liners around the bivy help almost 10F,and I had no debris between the liners and the bivy. Just the small layer of trapped air sufficed. The setup has to be tented over a ridgeline, tho. I was laying on 3 of the liners full of leaves, on our patio. No wind, but the liners fix the bivy's inability to stop the wind. I used blue masking tape to join two of the liners at their mouths, cut out one end, slipped them around the bivy. Getting this assembly put together and tented was a half hour pita, so I'm leaving it assembled in the BOB.

It's MUCH less hassle, much less debris needed to assemble the "longjohns" out of the pair of Amazon bugnet "suits" (debris between them) or the drum liners wrapped around the outside of my cammies, and each is worth 10F degrees. So until it's below 20F, I"m not going to bother with the one FULL drum liner of debris needed to stuff between the 2 drum liners and the bivy, just to get 10F more degrees of warmth

All it takes for the latter 2 tricks to work fine is a double armful of dry debris. I can dry out that much debris in one hour for the outside drum liner trick, cause that debris doesn't have to be totally dry. the plastic liners keep the moisture away from my cammies. An extra hour is needed to dry out the debris that is used between the bugnet suits, since it's next to my body. This dehybrating is done by sitting up in the bivy, using my body heat, and the UCO lantern and Beeswax ONLY candle between my thighss, the debris in my arms. This requires the extended base and the reflector (extending the base even more) to stabilize the UCO. Do NOT ignite or extinguish the candle while it's inside of the bivi!. Doing so creates way too much smoke to tolerate in such a small space.

If need be, I can get thru a night at 10F degrees otherwise too cold for my set up, using the UCO for a few minutes, then resting a few minutes, then exercising inside of the bag, resting, exercising, until too tired, then use the UCO again. Since the 9 hour candle is only being used about 1/4 of the time, I can do this for 4 days before needing a new candle. It only takes one night's use of a large "bed' of hot stones to dry out a drum-liner full of debris. Doing so is a huge pita, so it would get done only in a life or death sort of scenario and only in a very narrow range of temps. Below 10F nobody's going to bother me for having an open fire. above 20F, I dont need the extra debris.

Just the 50x10 ft of 2" mesh monofiament netting , no debris at all, lets me sleep ok at 30F. Fold it into a 2.5 ft x 25 ft rectangle, start at one thigh, go down and back up that leg, wrapping it. Do 1.5 wraps around the lower torso, then up and down the other leg and wrap the remainder of the net around your torso. This is done under your cammies, as long-johns. on top of the two bugnet suits. Then the drumliners get wrapped around the outside of the cammies. A discrete Dakota fire pit can warm up rocks or water to be taken into my bivy with me. That suffices for 3 hours at 20F, repeat.

Wife is going back to Asia for xmas, and perhaps return with the kid, 12 yo in Feb, IF the govt has her visa completed by then. So more testing can be done. She doesn't like to sleep alone and her job works her butt off. Disturbing her rest by going in or out of the house every few hours is neither the right nor the pleasant thing to be doing. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this bivy is made of metallized clothing grade tyvek, green on the outside with many tie off loops if you want/need to use it as a canopy, or as a poncho. It's $90, 1.5 lbs and is often out of stock. the regular size is too small. You need to tent it and not let it touch you, The regular size, $70 and 1 lb, can be slit and you can tape in a chunk of such tyvek, obtained for $10 from E bay and you'll have the XL size. here's the webpage. Note the drop down menu for choosing bivy size. I WARN you to cut off the zipper flap-covers. They WILL jam with you inside of the bivy.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Which Wife and Kid is this one? If the "original" the "Kid" would be about 20 or so. As for your survival gear, post a picture and I'll start believing you. Otherwise it's just more incredibly boring hot air.

Reactions: BigBassMan

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
$70-$90 for what amounts to an over sized series of space blankets with zippers?!!
Nope sorry I did a quick look on ebay and even found a brand new condition USGI Woodland bivy bag for the same amount as that xl contraption.
Plus if I wanted a reflective bag like that I could make one for 1/2 the price 3 GI "Space Blankets" for 3x $12.99 and $9.99 for a 72"sleeping bag zipper all off of eBay.
A good sewing machine or awl and some proper adhesive and your in business. Or maybe some heat seal seam tape and you won't have to sew at all just use a iron carefully.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Yeah and what's frustrating is I see used Goretex bags that with a little knowing TLC they'd be way more durable and effective. And if he'd both choose the materials wisely and size them properly he could come up with a decent 4 season sleep system for not much money.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
...2 hours, 40F
...a couple of hours without the temps changing significantly...
...2 hours, from 38F to 42F on the couch
a double armful of dry debris. I can dry out that much debris in one hour
...An extra hour is needed to dry out the debris that is used between the bugnet suits
...using the UCO for a few minutes, then resting a few minutes, then exercising inside of the bag, resting, exercising, until too tired, then use the UCO again
...Dakota fire pit can warm up rocks or water to be taken into my bivy with me. That suffices for 3 hours
John - to each his own and do what you want, but that seems like a lot of effort for not a lot of rest or comfort. Two hours to dry out the debris for a night's sleep, and then the 'resting, exercising, resting, exercising' cycle non-stop thru the night. Doesn't sound like it would accomplish a good deal of rest or much chance for your body to recover from the previous day's (or week's) exertions, especially if there was any trauma or injuries in the equation that needed to be recovered from.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
2 hours sleep, repeatedly after a number of days will wear you out worse than humping a 54 lb ruck for 20 miles. Get out of your short term box Melvin! Remember the snow in Texas last winter? Extremes happen and if you are not properly prepared your nothing but dog food.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Keep in mind he's not doing any of this. Just fantasy's on a computer. If ANY of it were true why not a single picture in 20 years?

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
If he was in Texas, I hear their Hog problem is really bad, but my memory of my time in the Middle East keeps me reminded about the feral dog problem we had there.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
John - to each his own and do what you want, but that seems like a lot of effort for not a lot of rest or comfort. Two hours to dry out the debris for a night's sleep, and then the 'resting, exercising, resting, exercising' cycle non-stop thru the night. Doesn't sound like it would accomplish a good deal of rest or much chance for your body to recover from the previous day's (or week's) exertions, especially if there was any trauma or injuries in the equation that needed to be recovered from.
You can't tell anything meaningful from a few hours of testing. Trying to dry stuff out by getting yourself sweaty? Energy deficit will kill you. it is very difficult to recover from being on the wrong side of the curve. There are a number of fatal flaws in his thinking.

buy decent gear and be way ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
I unfortunately know a few people where everything has to be "their way" or "their idea" experience of others be damned.🙄
I learned a long time ago that you can only offer advice based on your education and experience, if a person chooses or declines your advice, their results can't be blamed on you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts