Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
easier to hit than the 10" circle of the chest, or of a head on prone man. The REASON everyone shoots the rifle at the larger targets is they can't realistically expect to HIT therealistic, 10" circle at more than 223 range, and they SO want to be able to "outreach" 223 with their silly 308 auto's, bolt actions, etc. They WISH that guys would not use cover, darkness, dodge, go prone, etc, but that won't make it so.

On realistic targets, under field conditions, 300m is a long, long shot with any sort of realistic battle rifle and firing position, and that's HALF the range that an HBAR 223 will reach just fine. At 300m, the long barreled 223 can have 800 ft lbs left, and still expand a softpoint, too. That makes it at LEAST the equal, at 300m, of a 4" .44 mag, using 240 gr jhp factory ammo, at 10 ft. That's PLENTY of ability to ruin the "hittee's" ability to hit the cover using sniper at 300 yds.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
andy i'm sure most of this is true in your case. but just in your case, and most likly will not apply to anyone else.

andy the last time i shot 1000 yrds i shot a 10 rnd group that was 8.5" not a world class by any means but good enough for me. so off a rest with a scope does that mean i could hit a man sized target at this range, most likly, and so it takes 2 rnds to hit my target there a long way off and would either not hear the shot or not know where it was coming from. so go prone for me so i'll have a stationary target to shoot at ok. be happy with your uber gun but if shtf stay out of my neck of the woods. :cool:

ps: i was shooting a POS .308 bolt gun at the time. :cool:

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
easier to hit than the 10" circle of the chest, or of a head on prone man. The REASON everyone shoots the rifle at the larger targets is they can't realistically expect to HIT therealistic, 10" circle at more than 223 range, and they SO want to be able to "outreach" 223 with their silly 308 auto's, bolt actions, etc. They WISH that guys would not use cover, darkness, dodge, go prone, etc, but that won't make it so.

On realistic targets, under field conditions, 300m is a long, long shot with any sort of realistic battle rifle and firing position, and that's HALF the range that an HBAR 223 will reach just fine. At 300m, the long barreled 223 can have 800 ft lbs left, and still expand a softpoint, too. That makes it at LEAST the equal, at 300m, of a 4" .44 mag, using 240 gr jhp factory ammo, at 10 ft. That's PLENTY of ability to ruin the "hittee's" ability to hit the cover using sniper at 300 yds.
Not your cobbled, crippled 10" CAR, and you know it.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

wrong. Generally there are two reasons to use the bigger target:

1) see where impacts are if your scope is off, or you are trying a new ammo load. A larger target lets you see how much of an adjustment is required to put the rounds where you want them
2) it's easier to see the target. practicing putting rounds where you want them builds muscle memory, sight and trigger discipline.

many times people use the larger targets because that's what the vendor had when they bought their targets.

I roll my own, and tend to use smaller targets, once I'm dialed in. Things like a 2" square of yellow duct tape inside 300 yards, and a sheet of paper beyond. (the 2" square of duct tape is also my archery target of choice at the range, all the way out to 80 yards.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts