Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Personally I think Melvin has a "brown" belt in Bullshido if you know what I mean. 💩

·
Registered
132 Posts
20 yards, with any sort of a reasonable handgun, (Phoenix Arms, excepted) is absolute candy. We train at 3 to 25 yards routinely.

Anyone who can't keep a full magazine, (or cylinder) in the kill zone on a Transtar II target 20 yards, needs some serious remedial training, or needs to find another line of work. I'm pretty confident at 50 yards with either my Glock 21 or my Taurus 9's.

My fellow instructors and I, used to hit the old FBI targets at 100 yards with 2 1/2" Colt Detectives for the heck of it. You would have to range in, and hold about 18" high, but it made for pretty consistent hits. 20 yards? That's point blank as far as I'm concerned.
OK, how's this!

This is one of my (genuinely) rapid-fire pistol targets that I fired with a long barreled Glock Model 21. Not now, but I used to regularly practice pistol shooting at 20–22 yards.

Some people would say that this is too far away to attempt to engage a handgun target; however, over the years, I learned that it's always better to engage a target BEFORE that target is quite ready to engage you.

Now, with this being said: Shooting a handgun at anything out past 25 yards is, as far as this old pistol instructor is concerned, NOT a viable working distance for a vast majority of pistol shooters to attempt. (I see this sort of dismal pistol shooting all of the time at public ranges.)

Beyond 25 yards is work for a carbine or, maybe, a shotgun instead. ;)

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
In non covid times I was shooting 20-25 matches a year. 95% of the matches that I shoot in, the maximum handgun engagement distance is 15 yards. In the past I have noticed slight difficulties during a match from when I practice at 25 yds then shoot at less than 15 yds. During the last 2 years all my handgun practice targets have been at 15 yds max.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts