Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Personally I think Melvin has a "brown" belt in Bullshido if you know what I mean. 💩

·
Registered
147 Posts
20 yards, with any sort of a reasonable handgun, (Phoenix Arms, excepted) is absolute candy. We train at 3 to 25 yards routinely.

Anyone who can't keep a full magazine, (or cylinder) in the kill zone on a Transtar II target 20 yards, needs some serious remedial training, or needs to find another line of work. I'm pretty confident at 50 yards with either my Glock 21 or my Taurus 9's.

My fellow instructors and I, used to hit the old FBI targets at 100 yards with 2 1/2" Colt Detectives for the heck of it. You would have to range in, and hold about 18" high, but it made for pretty consistent hits. 20 yards? That's point blank as far as I'm concerned.
OK, how's this!

This is one of my (genuinely) rapid-fire pistol targets that I fired with a long barreled Glock Model 21. Not now, but I used to regularly practice pistol shooting at 20–22 yards.

Some people would say that this is too far away to attempt to engage a handgun target; however, over the years, I learned that it's always better to engage a target BEFORE that target is quite ready to engage you.

Now, with this being said: Shooting a handgun at anything out past 25 yards is, as far as this old pistol instructor is concerned, NOT a viable working distance for a vast majority of pistol shooters to attempt. (I see this sort of dismal pistol shooting all of the time at public ranges.)

Beyond 25 yards is work for a carbine or, maybe, a shotgun instead. ;)

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
In non covid times I was shooting 20-25 matches a year. 95% of the matches that I shoot in, the maximum handgun engagement distance is 15 yards. In the past I have noticed slight difficulties during a match from when I practice at 25 yds then shoot at less than 15 yds. During the last 2 years all my handgun practice targets have been at 15 yds max.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
bsers claiming that they can do, while being shot-at, in bad light, on a moving man, without ear protection, as well as they can in practice. You make me sick. Everyone can see that you're completely fos.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
bsers claiming that they can do, while being shot-at, in bad light, on a moving man, without ear protection, as well as they can in practice. You make me sick. Everyone can see that you're completely fos.
in times of stress you always fall back on your training, that's the whole point. If you train to miss, then you will miss. If you train to hit, then you'll get hits.
why not describe for those that are FOS, all the gun battles you've been in, hmm? Have you been in any? How many times have you been shot at in anger?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Someone with poor vision, obvious neurological issues and a penchant for clapped out and outdated pistols

Shouldn't be making presumptive judgements on others.

It wasn't too long ago before getting hit with various interconnected health issues that it was no trouble to eat at least the 10 ring out of a B27 target at 25ysrds with a mid to full size pistol of good quality.

I do own up that them days are gone until I make some improvements and adaptations.
Plus retraining of muscle memory.
But that's a different topic entirely.

However I certainly don't limit others by what I can or can't do currently.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I've been away for 9 days. I just got back from shooting 3 matches in 5 days (2x2 day matches, 1x1 day match) and over the final banquet age and increased misses were part of the conversation. 2 of the gentleman I was talking to hold numerous titles in their categories, all of us are over 65 years old. We all have noticed a degrading of our skills no matter how hard we try. I shot a 3 gun match a few weeks ago, I had no problem going into the prone position, but I lost time in the getting back up, unlike the 20 & 30 years old's. Constant practice helps slow down the aging process, but it only slows it down, it doesn't repeal it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts