Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually buy Remington Golden Bullet, either HP or solid for plinking or Squirrels. I tried Winchester as an all around brand, but they don't seem to have enough recoil to operate my Bersa,Taurus, or Ruger pistols reliably. They work fine in my 10/22's. The Remington's are reliable, but one inch groups at fifty yards does not seem like I'm getting all I should. My favorite .22 is my composite stocked 10/22 with a 3X9 Bushnell scope. Not a high dollar outfit, I grant you, but nice for kicking around and harvesting small game. Since I'm benchresting, I have to think it's the ammunition. I would like to hear the favorites from the Forum.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
For all around plinking and rabbit plunkin' ammo I use the Federal 550 bulk box from Walmart. For extra whizz the Aguila Super Maximum works well and is quite accurate. For ammo I can totally count on for reliability and accuracy I use the CCI.

RIKA

·
Registered
163 Posts
CCI Stingers all the way. Marlin M39 1 squirell 0.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
1) Low cost: Federal 550 bulk packs

2) Efficiency: CCI Stingers

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, I have always favored CCI Stingers. Most .22s I have shot seem to do quite well with them. I've tried ALL kinds of .22 ammo, even target grade stuff, and still keep coming back to the Stingers.

One thing I have noticed is that the Hammerli Trailsides don't work well with them at all. I think the Stingers are too potent for the gun to digest.

BTW, I bought a 5,000 round case of the Aquila super velocity stuff a while back and get a lot of misfires using them. Man I am pissed about that. I was surprised to find out that my Remington 572 Pump tends to one hole them, because otherwise I get lackluster results using anything else to shoot them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 39A favors the CCI Mini-mags.
The Ruger and Remingtons favor the Remington Goldens.

I keep CCI Velocitors in the Ruger Mark's for my wife as the secondary house guns.

I haven't tried them much in the rifles yet, I have tried the Stingers -- I don't shoot them as well as the Mini-mags.

Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
Magnum88C said:
Nice rifle choice.
Thanks, my father made that choice back in the late Forties, no telling how many pounds of ammo been through that rifle.
Anybody here have one of the newer 39A's? Are they still as well made?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
PMC Scoremaster,CCI Mini Mags,Remington Target Rifle,& I'm learning to like CCI SGB(small game bullet).Their POI is just a bit off from the PMCs'.

Stingers are okay but their extra oomph is a bit wasted IMO outa my pistols.

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Velocitors are a waste of money. I chronoed them last year out of my Ruger Mk II. Velocitors 1090 fps, CCI Stingers 1392 FPS. Your better buying Federal bulk pack that produces 1040 fps.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I buy Remington, or used to, I hate my .22 rifle. That thing jams up all the f***ing time.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
What I shoot most often is Remington 38-grain subsonic hp's.

Also a lot of bulkpak federal and winchester from walmart; usually that's just for blasting away at the pond with the kids. Don't shoot it real often, but when we do, we'll shoot a brick or more at a time, so it adds up to a fair number of rounds.

I've been shooting a little bit of PMC "Scoremaster" .22LR's lately as well, just to try it out. It's a "standard velocity" (subsonic) 40-grain solid. Most subsonics I come across are hp's, and a hp that slow has very limited penetration. These, being slightly-heavier as well as being solids, offer more. Haven't fired enough of them to form an opinion yet.

The CCI Green Tag has done well in my guns, but it's expensive.

May be just bad Karma, but I've never had a gun that got decent accuracy with Stingers.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Well, certainly I guess the gun you use has to LIKE the particular ammo you are using.

A while back a friend gave me a H&K model 270 .22 semiauto rifle. When I got home with it, I set up a target around 25 yards away and loaded up 10 rounds of Stingers in the mag and set it up on my bench rest. After the mag ran dry, from what I could see, looking through the scope at 3x, it appeared that I had put one shot on the paper right near the top, and the other nine shots missed the paper completely. Yeah, not good. But when I walked down to the target, I noticed that the "single" hole was a bit large for a .22 bullet. Well hot damn! That gun had put all 10 rounds into a single ragged hole! Yeah, I know that is not a terribly earth shattering feat at 25 yards with a rifle, but I certainly was darn impressed by it. Even if a gun I shoot is capable of that sort of accuracy, I seldom am up to the task.

I can't say how the gun shoots with other types of ammo, because, quite simply, I see no reason to try anything else in it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts