Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like everybody is making those slide/barrel/mag adapters that turn your centerfire handgun into a 22. They are available for the Colt style 1911, the Glock, Berretta, CZ - even the Luger but thats a collectors item.

I share a 1977 made Colt conversion kit with my Dad. Also have the Kadet kit for my CZ75B. I much prefer the Kadet kit as its much more accurate and doesn't gum up as much as the Colt kit does. Don't actually use it as much for training as just for fun. When squirrel season comes, I'll probably take it hunting just to see how it does.

I'm wondering if a 22 conversion kit has a place in the BOB and if it could take the place of, say a 10-22.

How many of you guys have one of these little gadgets and how do you like it?

RIKA :)

Edited to add: the Kadet unit maintains the same balance and almost the same weight as the centerfire pistol. The unit is made of steel - unlike some that are made of aluminum - except for the plastic magazine base and has excellent adjustable sights. I love it and would definitely recommend it.

R

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
wouldn't be without a Colt version

chopped to Detonics length, for TRAINING, but not for the BOB. dont want a full sized pistol,, centerfire or rimfire, for the BOB. Just a pocket 9 and a (canned) pocket .22. The pistol better NOT have much of a role if shtf. The RIFLE better handle nearly ALL the necessary shooting, with the exception of small critters, or men, too close to let me swap out the 223 for the .22 unit, but requiring a suppressed, subsonic .22, for lack of sonic crack, and to spare the 223 ammo AMAP. Whenever possible, avoid people, whenever possible, use traps, nets, trotlines for flesh food, whenever possible, use plant food, whenever possible, use .22lr, not 223 or 9mm. By avoiding being in the open, in daylight, and avoiding making noise, having traps, etc, avoid about 90+% of the shooting that the inept and stupid THINK that they will "have" to do, post shtf.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Though I don't necessarily agree with you on all points, you have given a coherent and intelligent answer.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
they r available for theP35 Browning

and were (are?) made for the Smith 9mm DA autos, too. In fact, with a Colt floating chamber barrel (available from Numrich for $180) a decent smith can convert pretty much any centerfire auto pistol to .22, if it's a Browning-type, with a "locking" barrel and slide that fully encloses the barrel.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Personally I would rather have a dedicated .22 handgun without sacrificing my primary handgun's caliber. To many things could possibly go wrong when you convert a firearm, the possibilities are endless. Personal preference.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
like WHAT,twit? It IS best to "dedicate"

one frame to the .22 unit,but everyone should have a "practice spare" anyway, so the .22 unit can go on THAT frame, if it scares an ignorant inept like you. I used to practice a course with a .22 until I'd maxed my ability on it, then repeat with the .45. Save a LOT of wasted time spent retreiving brass, loading and casting. Until you are firing TOP level times and scores with the .22, ALL centerfire rds fired are just wasted. NO centerfire is easier to shoot than is the .22. The only 'dedicated" (.22 only) pistol worth owning is the pocket type, preferably a smithed up M21 Beretta. The only reason to bother with it is its extreme light weight and compactness, along with its being convertable to SA carry, canned use, and 2" groups at 25 yds.

A "chopped" Colt .22 unit, Detonics length, on an alloy 1911 frame, is a fine trainer. It is JUST as hard to control, at reall speed, as is a full size and wt 9mm. MANY used to 'think" that it made sense to train with a .45 load that had NO more recoil than does an alloy framed .22 unit (given the floating chamber of the colt) They'd use 45-50 oz "weighted" full length recoil spring guides, muzzle wts, comps, lead in the stocks, etd 1911's, and 200 gr swc's at a whopping 700 fps (ie, 3.5 grs of pre-1978 Bullseye powder. In a .22 oz .22 unit (alloy frame) the floating chamber makes it feel just as "squirmy" as such a .45 load in such a gun. :)

I've owned at least 9 Colt .22 units over the years, shot and observed at least as many more. I've never HEARD of a SINGLE case wherein using one bothered the CENTERFIRE parts in ANY way. How COULD it? Fouling builds up in centerfires, too ya know. So you have to CLEAN the frame the .22 unit was fired on,so what, dummy?

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Don't be a dipstick! I like my Gov't Model in .45 and my Ruger Mk II in .22. My reality is different than your fantasy. Because you have failed to learn and failed to prepare, if the balloon ever went our FINAL OPTION would be your first option. Your fantasy is that you can survive from what you hump on your back, while killing innocents for supplies. That isn't my plan! The weight of one .22 handgun won't cause a problem on my 4x4, horse, mule, quad, motorcycle, peddle bike, etc
I then have the option of a second handgun to arm a member of my family, use in case my primary breaks down, runs out of ammo, gets lost, gets stolden etc

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Every man makes his decision and takes responsibility for his actions Gunkid. You can't force others to think as you do. Garand's thoughts have caused me to reconsider my proposal though I might carry the 22 unit along with a dedicated 22 handgun.

That horse looks better and better. :D

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
that horse will look good in your killer's

scope, too. So will the 4wd. Your "option" is that of the ignorant, chicken<font color=red>[**censored**]</font>, out of shape,incompent. :) A serioius survivalist AINT far from MUCH better options. :) There's no POINT in EITHER a large,heavy .22 pistol OR the .22 unit, for the BOB. There's no point in even OWNING the former. It's a waste of time and money, because the .22 unit is a FAR better trainer, and the pocket .22,assuming a GOOD one, is a far better choice for the BOB. So is a .22 conversion unit for the RIFLE.

You will be sick, exhausted, probably injured in 1 or more ways. That means that even the scoped, canned .22-223 RIFLE will be plenty hard enough to use well enough. It's STUPID to base survival tactics upon IDEAL conditions. Under realistic conditions, you wont be able to reliably take small game,or brain cattle, horses, etc, with a NOISY iron sighted .22 pistol beyond about 50 ft, while it can be done quite readily at 50m with the scoped, canned 223-22lr conversion. The SAME scope,can,rifle, bipod, etc, in 223, of course, also makes taking MUCH longer, still successful shots, if need be.

The large, heavy .22, and the large, heavy centerfire pistol, along with a rifle and a backpack,mean that you MUST carry the 22 pistol in the pack, with the resulting delay,movement,etc in order to access it and use it to take game, shut up a dog, or pick off an enemy. The .22 unit for the 223, tho,is easily carried in the leg pocket of your cammies, wrapped in your cleaning-cloth. The canned pocket .22 can be in the other leg pocket, with the pocket 9 in the front pants pocket.

See, your stupid choice of other calibers and rifles FORCES you to make bad choices in the pistol category, too. :)

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
If anybody should know that its stupid to bet on an ideal scenario, you should. After all for years you've been betting that you will be able to restock your ruck from from the bodies of the people that you hope to kill! But when it comes to your crystal ball regarding the rest of us, you should probably clean if before you attempt to tell our fortunes. Again your wrong!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: that horse will look good in your killer's

223 fan said:
that horse will look good in your killer's scope, too. So will the 4wd. Your "option" is that of the ignorant, chicken<font color=red>[**censored**]</font>, out of shape,incompent. :) ... See, your stupid choice of other calibers and rifles FORCES you to make bad choices in the pistol category, too. :)
Thus saith the ultimate dipstick. When you can't respond logically, you offer insults.

Pathetic little wanna-be posing as the ultimate survival expert. People reject your ideas even if you have a good one once in a while because you're so abrasive and insulting, not to mention childish.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
which marks them as STUPID. 2+2=4,

REGARDLESS of how much you dislike whomever says it does. I couldn't possibly care LESS what a bunch of lames "think" say, or do. Anyone with a lick of sense can read my posts and SEE that I am correct.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't you get it through your pointy little head. I don't dislike you, I dislike your arogant and insulting attitude where everyone who disagrees with you is a lame or foos or stupe. No one is correct all the time except you and you have been proven dead wrong on many, many occasions.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
name ONE, other than simple typos,

then. You CAN'T, because I've NEVER posted ANYTHING where I was dead wrong. YOU, however, have been proven to have no CLUE, about draw times, repeat hit times, and an endless parade of other subjects you opened your ignorant mouth about.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
You've been wrong so many times it would take 4 researchers 30 days works to find an instance when you were actually correct!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
well, then, POST a few, punk. There's

scores of my posts, RIGHT here that you can highlight, cut and paste, dip<font color=red>[**censored**]</font>.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts