Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the pocket 9x21. No, that hard, sharp cornered solid alumunum fragment does NOT just "shatter" on impact. The Split Nose bullet pierces the skin and ribs/sternum as one piece and then breaks in half, length-wise. The two unstable segments at first turn sideways in the animal and then, as they penetrate, they assume their most-stable position for their journey. They normally diverge quite a bit. I saw no exit wounds for lengthwise hits on a **** and a chuck. but both critters flopped to the shot. About like a .22 hornet sp hit, considerably better than a .22mag rimfire hp hit.

The aluminum hp is soft enough to mushroom at Mach II speeds, and it's pretty easy to determine how deep to make the slits. When the bullet impact the paper target as two segments, you've made the slit too deep. back of .020" on your slit and try again. if you've got a 5" barrel, as vs 3", you dont need the 9x21 chambering to get 2200 fps. There's no way a little slit in the bullet destablizes it as badly as does loading a hb wadcutter backwards :) Many considered that assembly to be very acceptable in a .38 snub, to include Bill Jordan. There's no problems keeping the bullets grouping 10" at 10m, even when just cutting the slits with a little Exacto hand saw. Make the cuts with a milling machine and your Split Nose ammo will group 10" at 50 ft or better, which is better than you'll shoot when you're being actively shot-at.

If you'd like to create lots of shock and destruction, with swift repeat hits, the ultra-lightweight, hollowbased, hollowpointed solid aluminum Split Nose design is the way to achieve your goal. A 70 gr .45, at 2300 fps in a 4" barreled .460 Rowland has 800 ft lbs, and less recoil than .45 ACP ball ammo. it's got the same 16 factor recoil as 200 grs at 800 fps, or 230 grs at 700 fps. An alloy framed gun can give you .17 second repeat hits with such a load. A top hand can hit a man 4x before he can fall. with 8 major wound channels in him, he's gonna bleed to death in seconds, if even if you shoot him while you're in the ER. Those who say that there's no such thing as shock from a handgun bullet ar fos. If that was true, this 4-shot burst in half a second, first shot to last, would have the same effect as a blast of 000 Buckshot from a magnum 12 ga load. 1500 fps. 8 wound-channels, 400 ft lbs per segment. It has the potential to ruin both lungs, both kidneys and the liver and spleen. :) Thats pretty likely to be definitive, dontcha think?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
10” at 10m is horrible accuracy.

Speed thrills, accuracy kills.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I’ve mentioned that before, but if a person is convinced that all defensive shooting is at dining-table distances, there’s little hope of a reality injection.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I’ve mentioned that before, but if a person is convinced that all defensive shooting is at dining-table distances, there’s little hope of a reality injection.
Well, I guess this is why head shots are impossible according to him...

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
"No one can fire effectively with a handgun at 20 yards. Too long range" Another gunkid comment.

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
20 yards! That is just a warmup. 25 an 50 is where I shoot the most. K38 is almost boring at those ranges. Model 25s an 29s are zeroed at 100. Most be some new shooter or a pansy that can't hit something at 20, geeze.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
And to think that instead of pursuing a new miracle bullet yesterday, my gun was loaded with normal bullets while I spent the afternoon doing mundane things like getting the tractor, four wheeler, gas cans, etc, ready for winter.

Because unlike these often-heard-of but never-seen bullets, not only is winter an actual thing, it’s just a couple weeks away from appearing. We’ve heard about these wonder bullets for decades, but never seen a single one. Maybe they’re like a chupacabra or the Loch Ness monster; we’re just supposed to take it on faith that they exist.

An inventor who's spent years publicly praising his game-changing device would actually show it off at some point...

Bluntly put, they don’t exist; at least not anywhere outside the imagination.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
"No one can fire effectively with a handgun at 20 yards. Too long range" Another gunkid comment.
And to think, that he is training "wifey"!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
And to think that instead of pursuing a new miracle bullet yesterday, my gun was loaded with normal bullets while I spent the afternoon doing mundane things like getting the tractor, four wheeler, gas cans, etc, ready for winter.

Because unlike these often-heard-of but never-seen bullets, not only is winter an actual thing, it’s just a couple weeks away from appearing. We’ve heard about these wonder bullets for decades, but never seen a single one. Maybe they’re like a chupacabra or the Loch Ness monster; we’re just supposed to take it on faith that they exist.

An inventor who's spent years publicly praising his game-changing device would actually show it off at some point...

Bluntly put, they don’t exist; at least not anywhere outside the imagination.
But he has thought about them, a lot.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
An observation: when he gives intricate details about measurements or temperatures, or describes something in excruciating detail - he hasn’t done it. He is just imagining how it would work.

Look at the nets from tarps, spring poles, etc. he gives tons of detail, but you can tell it lacks any actual practical application.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
Again why would you choose a caliber like 9x21 that has such limited availability of brass for your defensive handgun?
Personally in the past decade I've bought and sold a number of firearms that were in "obsolete" calibers, but I never considered them a personal defense firearm.

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Again why would you choose a caliber like 9x21 that has such limited availability of brass for your defensive handgun?
So you can be special. It's important to be special & outside the mainstream with your pistol caliber, because mainstream calibers are for lops, stupes, and peasants.

But with your rifle on the other hand, it's crucial that you be mainstream; mainstream to the point of using the govt-issued caliber. If it's not the GI round, you're making a huge mistake and you're frankly just stupid.

That said, it's important to remember that that's only true in your choice of rifle caliber; it doesn't matter at all with your choice of pistol caliber.

You know, because consistency of a logic train is overrated...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The one thing about old Melvin is he's consistently inconsistent.:eek3::laugh:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Funny how these old threads percolate up. Another "informative gun thread" praising the 9x21's fictional awesomeness, even though the 9x21 with the same bullet & powder is always less powerful than a plain old 9mm +P when both are loaded to max allowable pressures.

The 'advantages' of the 9x21 caliber:
  • It's not available in any factory gun in North America
  • Its ammo is not available in any store you'll ever be in
  • If you do want to handload for it, its brass costs six times as much as normal 9mm, and
  • It requires either a special-order barrel or a custom-milled barrel

But it's BIGGEST advantage?
- After all the above, it's actually LESS POWERFUL than a normal 9mm+P that can be found most anywhere in the US or Canada.

Yep. Them's some REAL advantages right there, boy...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts