Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that's all. Remember, you are ALL so wonderful at hunting that you can get within slingshot range, all the time. At the range you can reliably hit anything in the chest with a slingshot, a good man, with a decent .22 pistol, can hit the same critter in the head, no problem at all. so which IS it, punks? either you can't within 30m of anything, or you have no need of a rifle.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
300 RUM, why I dont screw with slingshots

Andy, that post is soooo true for most people. I''ve seen alot of hunters miss easy 50 yrd shots that, indeed, could be taken with a .22. But why is that no fun? Because if your good and have a cartrige to back you up, you can whack anything from varmints to elk at between 300-700 yards. All one has to do is glass the field. Its also alot more fun to boast about long range than short :)

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Some of use have the capability and the flexibility to do both depending on the circumstances. See Gunkid, your wrong again. :nyah: :nyah: :nyah:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Because a .22 rifle is good for game out to 50-70 yards as well, you dope. And stop harping on the slingshot thing, its more of a challenge and its fun.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
It takes NUTTY JOHN awhile to change gears in his alleged mind.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Why should andy work to get real skill when he can manufacture it right on his keyboard without breaking a sweat. Its quite realistic in his addled little mind.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
that's all. Remember, you are ALL so wonderful at hunting that you can get within slingshot range, all the time. At the range you can reliably hit anything in the chest with a slingshot, a good man, with a decent .22 pistol, can hit the same critter in the head, no problem at all. so which IS it, punks? either you can't within 30m of anything, or you have no need of a rifle.
Then of course, there's that whole legal thing... rimfires aren't legal to use on an awful lot of game.

Then there's the fun of using various calibers. A rifle goves you all kinds of opportunities you wouldn't understand, including the ability to take the longer shot if you are capable.

Of course, some of us also use a bow to hunt with...

You can do little but carp from the sidelines. Btw, your argument (besides being silly) is a non-sequitor. It does not follow that if you use a rifle, you cannot get close.

The weapon has zero to do with stalking ability.

You confuse hardware with skill a lot. (Which is why you think having a can makes you invincible.)

:devil:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Coyote said:
Because a .22 rifle is good for game out to 50-70 yards as well, you dope. And stop harping on the slingshot thing, its more of a challenge and its fun.
Right on Coyote! In fact I feel a GOOD .22 lr. rifle can go well past 70 yards! Try a kimber .22 rifle one day!

Stupekid just 'thinks' that if you can do something, then you HAVE to do that. Hell, I've gotten so close to rabbits I could have pissed on them, does that mean I should go rabbit hunting with my pecker?

Teuf, gunkid will go out to a dump and shoot poor old mangy dogs for his pleasure. That's his idea of hunting. Pitiful, isn't it.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I''ve seen alot of hunters miss easy 50 yrd shots that, indeed, could be taken with a .22. But why is that no fun? Because if your good and have a cartrige to back you up, you can whack anything from varmints to elk at between 300-700 yards. All one has to do is glass the field. Its also alot more fun to boast about long range than short
I am not agreeing with Andy, exactly anyhow, because his post is just another troll but; I gotta say that if I had bagged an Elk at 30 yards and another at 400 yards, I would be much more likely to brag about the one at 30 yards. Now I have never shot an elk, but have gotten a few Whitelatil Deer. Every one of them was within about 40 yards, many at much less. It gives me the greatest thrill to be able to get that close. Sure I don't get a deer yearly, but I am pretty sure I could if I took even just 100-150 yard shots. Getting in close is a whole lot tougher than that long shot as I see it. Now I am not saying the long shot is easy, nor am I saying it is not something to brag about. What I am saying though is the close in shot has much more bragging rights because anyone can find game at such a long distance and if you are a good to great shot you have a good chance of getting it. Those skills, the shooting ones, are much easier to hone than are hunting skills to either get you in close or to get the game (big game) to come into close to you. Of course, I am talking wild game, no bait). Well that is the way it is for me anyhow, living just outside of NYC with little time to scout out game.

Happy new year,
GB

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I thought a .22 pistol was a bad idea? I think a good .22 pistol makes more sense than neutering your fighting rifle. That’s why I would choose the pistol over the .22 unit. But that’s my choice, and my planning. What works for me may not be workable for anyone else.

I spend a lot of time in the woods, so I’m comfortable with a pack and various weapons. I bow, rifle, and handgun hunt - depending on the season. Everything from varmints to big game. I’m not afraid to stalk when appropriate or take a longer shot when it is warranted.

everyone should plan based on their abilities and location. But you need to get out and actually do these things, not just sit around and imagine doing them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts