Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....with varying bullets.

Has anyone noticed how someone is saying they need only one rifle yet they keep talking about 2-3 DIFFERENT twist rates to get their specialty bullets to perform?
And, that .223 is such a versitale chambering yet it needs these 2-3 different barrels to get the job done.:rolleyes:

Now I've shot 125gr varmint bullets through my .308's up to 168gr match bullets.
All the rifles had one barrel and one twist rate of 1-10 each and would do from 1-1/2" groups on down to 1/2MOA or less depending on whether or not they had short barrels with open sights or happened to be heavy barrel target rifles with scopes.
All the bullets performed as needed or better with only one twist rate and needed only one barrel per rifle.

Hmmmm.....
:cool:

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
To me, the 1 in 9 twist rate on my CAR is like the CAR itself; it's (IMO) a very good compromise of available optons, and very versatile.

And no, "compromise" isn't a dirty word; we compromise every day. If we didn't compromise on a combination of variables, we'd always buy the cheapest car, the highest-mileage car, or the largest car; depending on which 'one' variable we were unwilling to compromise on.

My gun does fine with 55-68 grain bullets, at least as far as I shoot it. If someone needs or wants more than that, more power to 'em. In my area and my setting, the 1-in-9 5.56 does pretty well.

Like you, I also shoot varying bullet weights in my .308's; actually I shoot loads from 110-grain TAP to 180 SP's.

:beer:

G

·
No one twist rate for ANY cartridge will perform all task in all bullet weights well.

The bullet range for the 5.56 goes from 40 grains to 80 (doubleing of the weight.)

The 7.62 NATO goes from 110gr to 220 (or more!).

I am satisfied with a 1/9 or 1/10 and be done with it, for the 5.56.

I usually use the 55gr bullet weight as honestly the 5.56 is no anti-material round. I perfer the bullet to fragment so the plain jane 55gr FMJ or 55 gr SP is fine. My weapon is set up for that load. It is best inside 300 yards and it's dammage potential past that range drops dramaticly.

My match M1A has a twist rate of 1/11 and that is also fine. It shoots 147 thru 180gr bullets extreamly well and can be used with great success past 600 yards.

I see no reason to mess around with twist rates and trying to make a 5.56 into a long range sharp shooting weapon. Notice the Airborne with their Designated Shooter program uses M-14s and not full sized M-16s. They are not stupes like gunkid.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
no, stupe, what I say is IF u want to

bother with 500m+ crap, a 223 CAN handle it,given a 24" barrel and 80 gr vld bullets. I NEVER said anything about such shooting being necessary, or that I would BOTHER with it, at ALL. Just another case in point of your reading comprehension SUCKING, that's all.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
You have advocated so many uppers in the past few months that it would weigh down your wheelbarrow. Get real and standardize on one rifle and load.

RIKA

G

·
Re: no, stupe, what I say is IF u want to

223 fan said:
bother with 500m+ crap, a 223 CAN handle it,given a 24" barrel and 80 gr vld bullets. I NEVER said anything about such shooting being necessary, or that I would BOTHER with it, at ALL. Just another case in point of your reading comprehension SUCKING, that's all.
So stupe, you are now saying they should have TWO upper ARs with TWO different rifle twist if they want to use a AR for long as well as short range? Stupe, just get a good FAL or M1A and you would have BOTH short and long range with FAR more hitting power at any range.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep figures the Pigeon Of Pagosa couldn't figure out his own ramblings and gets trapped in them.

Again Tard lets go over what YOU have prattled on about over the last several YEARS over the internet.

First I remember when YOU posted under the name Blueyes( Or was it Blue balls?) over on PN about the virtues of a canned CAR and the old 1-12"BBL Twist. Best when used withthe .22unit IIRC.

Now you need a 1-8 twist for long range shooting with the 80grbullet to keep up with a .308 and of course in a longer barrel.
1-7" is supposed to over spin the lighter ones.

1-9" might be a good compromise. But might not work for bullet weights on the extreme ends of the spectrum.

Sooooo......if you scrounge odd weight ammo or bullets where does that leave you eh?

Nowhere anyway because this is just a internet fantasy for you anyhow.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
no, u wouldn't, moron. u wouldn't have

a lw,concealable rifle, with a .22 unit, with lw, compact, GI available ammo, handy with a can attached, usable with one hand, etc. I never SAID long range bs was necessary OR advisable, twit. That's YOU bozo's wet dream.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah yeah yeah you don't even know exactly what I have.

Nor do I care to tell you either.

You would be surprized at what I already have owned and tried.

You're just to ignorant and arrogant to learn from anyone else hell you can't even learn from your own mistakes.:rolleyes:

And YOU will be doomed to repeat them if you don't.:p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts