Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
critter short of an elephant. So the only real "shortcoming" of the 223 as a big game round is really the fault of the shooter. He knows that he can't GET within 100m of the critters, and can't HIT a 6" circle at such ranges. So of COURSE the 223 is what's "inadequate". :) Well, I say that such 'hunters" are what's not up to the task.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
ticsmyd
Talk Is Cheap Show Me Your Data​

Now I am not saying this is necessarily incorrect, but I certainly am the doubting Thomas type. I would like to see your data on this one. Explode the brain is a big claim even if you mean just turn it into mush. Why would a .223 do that and another bullet not do it? In fact why would a 223 explode anything? This I believe is a misnomer that has been or was perpetrated by certain military types to convince the brass and the congress to go for this round many years ago. I have never heard any such claim from the namesake company who put this round onto the market. I wonder what they (Remington) would say, and I wonder what any other ammunition manufacturer who currently produces 223 ammo would say on this one.

If you have some info on it, I sure would like to read it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
To me it sounds like he is comparing the .223 to other calibers, from history I'll guess it's a .308.

I'll bet that a rhino, water buffalo, polar bear and mosquito would be pretty tough to brain with a .223. Whether or not there is an "explosion" so to speak is kind of secondary if the head is spread out.

I love the M1 Garand, probably as much as the M1A. Having thought more about the .223, however... seems to be making more and more sense. I'm new to the game anyhow, my only rifle is 7.62x39. Most likely the next will be .223.

cheers

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
krept said:
Having thought more about the .223, however... seems to be making more and more sense.
The .223 is not a bad round as long as you don't ask it to do what it was never meant to do (shoot dangerous game, shoot through barriers, shoot at 1000 yards at anything but paper), and use an appropriate launching platform (16"+ barrel) to get the impact velocity where it needs to be for the projectile to have the terminal ballistics it needs to do the job.

Which mean pretty much any rifle that you don't need ATF permission or to break the law to acquire. 16" or 20" barrel will just determine your maximum effective range.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have shot several coyotes in the head at various ranges, with both sp and hp ammo. It drops them pretty darn quick, but never did a head explode. The brains were turned to mush, and a couple had some good exit wounds, but no explosions.

Would be kinda cool if that were the case....

:devil:

Forgot to add the above was with .223 ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
True experience speaks, with results just as I had thought... Thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts