Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
men, small deer,shtf foraging, practice, 30 AK for suppressed,subsonic work,or big deer, 308 for sensible big game-taking, 300 Mag for showing off at long ranges, stopping big animal charges, by virtue of BAR'S rapidfire. Me,I'd just skip the 300 Mag, use the 308, take head shots at the big critters. Given Barnes "solids" in 30 cal, even elephant would be no big deal. With the cheap surplus ammo, you could get in lots of practice,hitting the football sized brain circle, swiftly and repeatedly. Elephants aint that fast. 30 fps in full charge.So if you fire at 30m, and the earhole shot doesn't drop him, you have 3 seconds in which to switch to the frontal brain shot, before he can reach you. that is time enough for you to take another 4-5 shots, carefully aimed at the brain. That suffices rather nicely. In fact,it BEATS the 2 tries that abolt 375 user gets, in the same time,by 100%.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Do you know what the natives call that gooey red stuff between an elephant's toes?

Gunkid

RIKA :)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Actually, I agree with a lot of this post.

Hunting wise, my battery is not too different;

.22 lr
.22mag just because, for when I can't be in the field legally with a centerfire
.223 for varmints / predators
.280 for medium to large game (although the .308 is sometime also used)
.338 for elk and bear. (yes, the .280 or the .308 are plenty for either)

that was a good post GK, though I may not agree with you on the elephant - but it is both possible and realistic to do what you describe.

that was pleasant, no drama, no name calling.

:devil:

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
forgot to add - use barnes in both the .280 and the .338

haven't worked up a load for the .308 using barnes, but do have a ballistic tip load that the FAL likes using 150's

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I think the 308 is too light for elephant even with the best solids. I know that W.D.M. 'Karamojo' Bell took them with the 7x57 but he was an expert shot, cool as ice and knew elephant anatomy. Don't know why he didn't use a heavier rifle unless the 7mm was all he had.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Raider said:
I think the 308 is too light for elephant even with the best solids. I know that W.D.M. 'Karamojo' Bell took them with the 7x57 but he was an expert shot, cool as ice and knew elephant anatomy. Don't know why he didn't use a heavier rifle unless the 7mm was all he had.

RIKA
I agree, that's why I choose to disagree with GK on that part. It is possible, and even feesable to do so. I just wouldn't do it, for a lot of reasons - mainly because of an angry elephant that wants to kill you is NOT a good thing!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Raider said:
Do you know what the natives call that gooey red stuff between an elephant's toes?

Gunkid

RIKA :)
Fantastic comment for MELVIN, the NEWLY MINTED Great White Hunter. (In his minds fantasys that is)

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Use Enough Gun ...

Robert Ruarke always stressed in his hunting books, to "USE ENOUGH GUN."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts