Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In mentioning that I'd put my 1911 9mm/22TCM combo pistol on consignment yesterday, I realized I'd never mentioned the conversion kit I have for it, for a glock 19.

The gunk around the guide rod is just powder residue and breakfree; I tend to run my guns 'wetter' than some folks do. The conversion kit is just a replacement (non-captive) guide rod, lighter recoil spring and a barrel chambered in 22TCM; the kit uses everything else from the stock glock. I personally like that; being able to use the same sights as normal, fitting in all the same holsters, etc.

Being that the glock has a shorter-oal 9mm magazine than a 1911-size gun has, it will only use the '9R' version of the 22TCM chambering. The other version is loaded to .38 super and .45acp oal; where the 9R is loaded with slightly different bullet seated deeper to allow it to fit in a normal 9mm magazine. I really didn't intentionally get into 22TCM; I wanted a double-stack 1911 in 9mm, and the one that was in stock at the time also happened to have a TCM upper; that's how I ended up with it in the first place, nothing real intentional. That said, I don't like not having backups or spares, and I don't like having a caliber that I can only shoot out of one gun. But I didn't really want to get over-invested in the 22TCM either, so I compromised and just picked up a conversion kit in the caliber, that would let me shoot it out of a glock that I already had, without buying another entire gun.

As far as I recall, I've only had one malfunction with the conversion kit, and that was when on a very new and tight glock 19. One failure to fire that looked like a light primer strike; rechambered the round and it went off fine. Thing is (as with so many neat & cool things), I haven't really found a practical use or application for it. While it has darn near zero recoil (which would seem to make it good for a smaller person or someone who doesn't shoot much), it does have a LOT of muzzle blast which would tend toward making it a bad choice for someone not real comfortable with firearms.

The caliber is capable of quite a bit; it actually outperforms the much-ballyhoo'ed 5.7x28 from a pistol by quite a bit, running a 40-grain bullet at 2,080 fps from the 1911. I haven't clocked any of the 39-grain loads from either the 1911 or the glock conversion. But I just haven't thought of an application or use that (in my world) it would be capable of that a 9mm wouldn't be equally capable of. Self defense? Okay, I could live with it; but I can also live with the 9mm. Nuisance animals? Again, I don't see it performing more effectively than a 9mm does on armadillos, possums, raccoons, etc. Competition or recreational shooting? Not for me personally, with the cost of factory stuff and the hassles of reloading bottlenecked rounds.

The one place I can see it doing real well is in a short rifle. Armscor or Rock Island or someone made a little .22-sized rifle for it that would take magazines from 5 to 18 rounds, and that seems like it could be a great farm gun; taking nuisance and predatory animals farther than I could with the pistol, without going to a full rifle caliber like 223. But in a pistol, while it's certainly capable of a decent amount, I never found a niche that it hugely outshone the glock in its normal caliber.

And on the muzzle blast, while there really is just about zero recoil, the blast & flash can be substantial:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fwiw, the rifle. As I understand it, it comes with 5-round magazines but can use the 18-rounders from the 1911 version as well:

1620132133441.png

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
If i still coyote hunted and I wanted a sidearm under the sometimes confusing regs the kit for the Glock might make sense.

I've looked at the cartridge and it's kind of neat and interesting in itself but.... currently can't find too much use for it.
Just as an aside:
If someone wanted the novelty of a multi caliber set up for one pistol. A Glock or similarly parts supported pistol:
.22lr
.22TCM
9MM
.357SIG
.40S&W

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
I wonder is they make a .22 TCM conversion kit for a .45ACP 1911?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder is they make a .22 TCM conversion kit for a .45ACP 1911?
I don’t think it would work, due to breech face dimensional problems as Ed says. Wouldn’t need a whole new gun though; just a 1911 upper made for 9mm, .38 super, or similar.

I still haven’t found a real useful application for it though. Other than having almost no recoil (which imo is offset by the greatly increased blast), and the ability to penetrate soft armor (which I personally don’t care much about), it doesn’t fill any role that I can think of, that a more mainstream caliber doesn’t fill as well or better. Again, I’m talking about from a pistol. From a rifle, it could be a neat and capable intermediate nuisance-animal round; reaching out farther & flatter than my pistol-caliber carbines, without the overkill of a full-power rifle round. If I had a rifle in the caliber and was shooting a lot of hogs, foxes, etc, at greater-than-pistol distances, I’d have probably not sold the pistol and ammo.

When I took the 22TCM pistol and ammo to the LGS to get rid of, I kept all of the 22TCM-9R load that I had on hand, to use in the Glock. IIRC, around 400 rounds or so, and that will probably last me a long time unless some great use for it occurs to me.

Reactions: Garand

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fwiw, the original 22TCM load on the left, which requires a longer-oal magazine. The one on the right is the later version, dubbed the "9R", for '9mm revision' or so I've read.

Even though the later 22TCM-9R on the right looks much shorter, in reality the bullet itself is only one grain lighter than the original load (39 vs. 40). But the slightly rounder profile and deeper seating make enough difference to allow it to fit into any 9mm magazine; where the original one won't.

Definitely a weird-looking cartridge for a handgun. Always makes me think of Roy Weatherby - it looks to me like a handgun version of his approach of "small bullet in front of a big powder charge".

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t think it would work, due to breech face dimensional problems as Ed says. Wouldn’t need a whole new gun though; just a 1911 upper made for 9mm, .38 super, or similar.
Dawned on me that this is partly wrong, or at least incomplete. You'd have to swap the ejector as well; to either a 38 super or 9mm ejector, which iirc would require slightly widening the ejector slot.

Never done it, but I believe that to be the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts