Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
come CLOSE to being as effective, on big dogs, as the 460 Rowland Split Nose. With the .45 COLT type fp bullet such loads either let them run, or have them bite at themselves and chase their tails. The 70 gr, 2300 fps .460 prefrag dumps them on their asses, and they CANT get up, same as a 223 sp does. Guys are just too cheap and lazy to find out the TRUTH about what can be done with handguns, if you load them properly.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the 455 has a whopping 290 ft lbs, and wastes 1/3rd of that on overpenetration of the man. No wonder it doesn't get much done. The 460 load has 800 ft lbs, uses it ALL, and creates 3 separate wound tracks with each shot. Plus it's AP, plus it's available in a much more ccw-capable, controlable gun, that holds 1/3rd more rds, is reloadable 3x as fast, with the spare loads being far more ccw-able than any speed loader is.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
How many big dogs have you shot with a 255 gr .455 Weblly revolver? Since the bullet construction and momentum transfer mechanisim are different you need a good sized sample to make a valid comparison.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
I have a couple of friends who own .455 Webley as collector guns. I don't think they are shot much as brass is not readily available. During the early '80's I got an Enfield "tanker" revolver cheap. I didn't find that style of handgun comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Webley=funky/kool.

I've never had both the $$$ & desire when I've had one in my hand.I'll get one sooner or later just because they are funky/cool.

& no,I won't likely shoot any dogs w/it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shot about a dozen with .45 Colt, same load, and a dozen more with 230 gr, 800 fps swc .45 ACP. how many have YOU shot with 460 Rowland Split Nose, old fool? ZERO, you've never even held a Rowland shell in your HAND, much less fired one.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Someday, if you live long enough, you will learn a little about terminal ballistics and we can have an intelligent disscussion. Until then, dream on about fantasy guns and fantasy loads.

·
Registered
9,772 Posts
Gunkid, you've never shot a .460 Rowland! Thats like the pot calling the kettle black.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
No Garand, it's like the pot calling a white porcelain plate black. Gunkid is so off on his facts he cannot even keep his lies strait.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
The brits have had some WIERD service pistol rounds.I know that you don't WANT to load service pistol cartrideges tyoo hot;it accelerates wear&breakage,and some moderate loadings are VERY effectice in social situations.That said,I'm TILL confused as to how when they were told to get Hague Convention compliant and lose th.455 with the exposed lead billets,theyeventually replaced it with the .38S&W loaded in some lots UNDER 700fps....Jeez!You KNOW every one that could was trading or otherwise acquiring something else.Some of those loadings were actually stopped by heavy greatcoats encrusted in ice&frozen mud from the lees than idyllic conditions of the trenches.Small wonder that some of the WW1 era units in the uK&Crown/Commonwealth nations actuall issued "trenchswords"(the Welsh)7others improvised CQB imple,ments(sharpened E toolsand the like).

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
And no wonder we used .45 ACP autos and revolvers in WW1! Mucho better.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Any here know what the maximum safe loading is for the Brit top-breaks that were converted fromm .445 t0 .45ACP&.38 S7W to .38 Special respectively?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts