Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at night. They come right up to our paved parking lot. Last night, even the presence of our 2 small dogs didn't scare the one deer much, if at all(30 ft away) My flashlight shining on him, didn't, either(from 40 ft away) Last weekend, 2 of them stood in the headlights for several minutes, NOT looking at the lights, while my wife made a lot of noise getting out of HER car, only 40ft from them. :) Anybody who"thinks" deer aren't EASILY brained with a .22 rifle just doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Thursday, I drove within 25 meters of a herd of 50-60 elk, but then the facility I work at has been declared a World Wildlife preserve by the UN! I'd still prefer to use a larger caliber rifle. The meat recovered, is far more tender when the animal is not stressed plus I have no desire to see the animal I shoot suffer.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
A chance occurence with city deer Andy. Try it out in the wild while you are on foot and hungry. Different world.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Erika he probably sleeps on the park benches at the zoo and used the computers in the library. It fits.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have had deer snort in my face because they could not figure out I was even there, but they could smell me and they knew something was not quite right.

So what's your point?

In your case, they knew you were there. They had not felt any pressure prior to your chance encounter with them.

If SHTF, and you aren't the very first person they encounter that is looking to kill them, they will spook and stay spooked. (I thought you were the one claiming all game would be gone in a month...) Which means you would be very foolish to depend on this type of behavior for your survival.

:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I once walked up to three deer, during the middle of the day (not at night) that were walking my way on about a 90 degree angle to my path through the woods. When I say walked up on them, I mean it literally as I got within 15 feet of them. I was pretty amazed, all those years of reading outdoor life paid off. I have also walked to within 25-30 feet of a bobcat, and to with the same distance of a black bear out in the woods both during the daytime although I willadmit that I came upn the bear in the middle of a blinding snowstorm and visibility was not miuch more than 100 - 150 feet or so depending upon wind gusts. Those were not easy things to do as I was taking about anywhere from 3 to 10 steps and then halting for up to one minute before moving on. I did this over a few miles and it is nit an easy pace to maintain, especially when it is cold. I have also had a deer come to within two feet of me while I was in my stand. It followed a scent trail I had laid out (and I guess there was still enough of the scent on me to attract it that close even though I tried not to have it one me but on some drag pads). That was truly a neat experience with a young buck/fawn (probably born earlier that year) as about 6 other deer watched from nearby as it sniffed, stomped, and pretty much barked an alarm once I said "Hello there Mr. Deer" or something to that effect.

I also have walked up pretty close, then duckwalked to right next to them in a field behind the house my uncle used to own. This was at night. I got as close as about 5 feet from them. I have done that several times, and watched those deer for up to maybe 15 minutes as they grazed around me. I could probably have killed one with a knife. I have seen deer in his driveway at night eatting apples that feel from a tree and they not moving as my uncle's dogs walked within 15 or 20 feet of them - as did my uncle - none seeing the deer - also at night. I wonder why the dogs did not go beserk but sometimes they just did nothing, other times it was barking, howling and chasing.

Sure it is always a trhill to see deer that are close by, even when you see them from your car, or in your driveway, or around your house, when they don't take off. Sure you could shoot one or two of them before they knew what was happening if you really needed the meat and could not get them legally. But the real measure of the man, the way to tell if the man knew
his ass from a hole in the ground
would be to hunt them in fair chase, wouldn't it?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Garand said:
Thursday, I drove within 25 meters of a herd of 50-60 elk, but then the facility I work at has been declared a World Wildlife preserve by the UN! .

now that's scary, U.N. DECREE!

i do not like it GARAND![ i'll start spray painting human head sized rocks powder blue ,for some BUSH range target practice]

i had a pet deer as a kid[spotted fawn] my father brought it home from bulldozing a road in the woods to drill an OILWELL!

we ended up boarding her in a barn on the ol' ex hobos farm[moonshiner] i had to feed it twice a day from a nipple bucket, it grew to a full sized doe , although kinda crazy,as it would run under a 4'x8' plywood sheet leaning and bump/scalp it's forehead[hell!it's probably still alive as far as i know!]

ah, the past not recollected, but never forgotten!

[i had a pet **** also! till dads[new] $40 cork handle fishing rod got chewed up]

thanks.
she disapered soon after

1 - 7 of 7 Posts