Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That means it's only got 550 ft lbs left out there, and it will waste 1/3rd of that power on overpenetration of the torso, too. The 10" 223, starting a 60 gr v Max softpoint at 2650 fps, still has 2050 fps left at TWO HUNDRED yds, which means it still expands the sp, and doesn't waste ANY of its 560 ft lbs. The 10" barreled CAR is but 20" long, WITHOUT retractiing its buttstock 3". So you can have an 8" can on it, and it's STILL handier around vehicles etc (stock retracted) than the 30 CArbine is. It will still fire the GI rifle rd, use GI mags and parts, have a .22 unit, have luminous night sights, drop in trigger, see thru, return to zero, QD scope, forened mounted bipod, etc, all of which the .30 carbine lacks. The lameassed carbine doesn't even have a flashhider, ferchrissakes, much less is it feasible to thread it for a suitably efficient can. Making noise, post shtf, is just a stupid thing to be doing, when you don't have to. Using a .30 c rd, to take a cat, dog, skunk, possum, hawk, crow, owl, cow, rabbit, or deer, is just stupid, too. Most deer can be taken with the .22 AR conversion unit and subsonic loads, and certainly cattle, hogs, horses, sheep, dogs, etc, can easily fall to the brain hit with the .22lr. .30 carbine rds are 30 to the lbs, and not at all readily found-replaced. The .22lr is 135rds to the lbs, and at LEAST 100x as likely to be found as the 30c rd is. 6 BILLION rds of .22lr are imported into, or made in the US each year. If you think that there's 60million such rds of 30 carbine, you're nuts. :)

The .30 carbine was a good gun in its day, but we've gone FAR beyond that day.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Gunkid,

a) the only way a 11" POSCAR would be 21 inches long is if the flash hider is taken off, cuase 21" would be ILLEGAL under ATF rules (26" minimum OAL.)

b) M1 Carbine does have a flash hider that clamps right to the barrel. No clue, right?

c) The 11" POSCAR is just that. 10x times number of guns that will outperform it, including the AK-47, any 16 inch barrel AR, M1A, M1 Garand, FAL, G3, Gaili, etc..., even the 30/30 has some better points in power than a 11" POSCAR has.

d) if you want a .22, get a .22 pistol, turning your battle rifle to a .22 will not only tie it up, but dirty it up (and the AR don't need any more dirt than it already gets.

Your whole SHTF dream is just that, S**T.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
even the SHORTY AR is TWICE the rifle that a .30 Carbine ever was, using ball ammo, and you bozos CLAIM that the 223 is SO inadquate. Well, Hardball says that .30 C ball did FINE, at typical ranges. So how you figure that a gun and load that has TWICE the30c's range and stopping power is "inadequate",hmm? It's YOU that's inadequate, that's all, and you try to make up for it with your silly little $400 308 rifle.:)

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
erika/gunkid, if you want to choose what we feel is an inadequate rifle, feel free. We make choices based on our experience and knowledge, which could possibly more superior in our circumstances than yours.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
My .30C's are loaded wiht 110-grain HP's and SP's, although I do have a fair amount of fmj around, just for "having".

The CAR is imo far superior, but an HP or SP bullet with greater than 44-magnum power at the muzzle and .357 magnum power out to 100 yards isn't worthless; especially when it's in a launcher with basically zero recoil and smaller than a 10-22.

Clarification/explanation: I own .30C's simply because of the deal I came across; got them real cheap. Two GI autorifles, ten magazines, two magazine carriers, 500 rounds of fmj, and 400 rounds of SP and HP ammo; right at $800 total cost. Like I said, a heck of a deal I stumbled into.

Ammo isn't as cheap as other military calibers, and if the guns had cost as much as most guns do, I never would have bothered. But having got the deal I got has made me come to appreciate them, largely because they're small and controllable enough that even my 9-year old can use them. (Hopefully, he'll never need to, except on four-legged game...)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, 30 c is ok, with good expanding bullets, out to 100 yds, but the 223, even a 10", with a scope, is a LOT more gun.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That's right. 100 yards. And in brush neither the M1 Carbine nor 11" POSCAR is anywhere near as good as a 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 (but I bet the Carbine bullet would hold together and we all know the 5.56 SP would blow up on the first twig it hit.)

100 yards. Pithetic.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
So Melvin, if I use my M1 Carbine as a games gun and it takes down B zone plates at 25-35 yards, do I really care how high the velocity reaches over 1,500 fps? Melvin I promise when spring comes, I will actually go and chrono my .30C reloads for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts