Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions on the .30 Luger? How does it compare to the .380 ACP and the 9x19?

Are there any expanding bullets that work well within its velocity range from a 4" barrel?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on the .30 Luger? How does it compare to the .380 ACP and the 9x19?

Are there any expanding bullets that work well within its velocity range from a 4" barrel?

DW pick up a copy of hatchers book on handgun ammunition and it's effectiveness. he sited the 30 luger as one of the better defense rounds available at the time of its general use. if i remember it correctly he fired into cadavers and then had them autopsied to judge wound effectiveness on man size targets. any 95 to 100 grain bullet moving at 1400+ fps out of a 4" pistol is going to get its targets attention no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DW pick up a copy of hatchers book on handgun ammunition and it's effectiveness. he sited the 30 luger as one of the better defense rounds available at the time of its general use. if i remember it correctly he fired into cadavers and then had them autopsied to judge wound effectiveness on man size targets. any 95 to 100 grain bullet moving at 1400+ fps out of a 4" pistol is going to get its targets attention no matter how you look at it.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into that book.

Where have you seen 95 @ 1400? The average I've been finding is 93 @ ~1250.

Do you know how it would compare in recoil to other .380 - 9mm compact pistol combinations?

It appears Hornady makes an XTP in .309. Any word on reliable penetration or does it come short?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into that book.

Where have you seen 95 @ 1400? The average I've been finding is 93 @ ~1250.

Do you know how it would compare in recoil to other .380 - 9mm compact pistol combinations?

It appears Hornady makes an XTP in .309. Any word on reliable penetration or does it come short?
well it's a European ammo thing. the way the ammo manufactures in europe work is like this. if you put ammo in an old or defective weapon and it kabooms it's your fault not there's. where as in the us if you put ammo in an old or defective gun it's the ammo makers fault not the weapons owners fault. thus american ammo is loaded to lower levels then it's european counter part. a good example is that european ammo makers load 8x57 ammo to levels that almost equal the 30\06 with all bullet weights, while americam manufactures load it to a level that just a little more powerful than a 30-30 round.

also when you look at the 30 luger round you have to remember that the round was designed to be shot from a locked breach pistol such as the broom handle mauser and luger pistol. the round was not designed originally when open breach pistols existed. i do believe it would be possible to get close to 1400 fps out of a 93 to 95 grain bullet with proper powders while hand loading the round. what kind of velocities are you seeing with the 7.62 x 25, both rounds are almost most identical, and my manual shows velocities in the 1500 fps range with 90 grain bullet and a 5" barrel. so i would think 1400 fps is obtainable in a 4" with the 30 luger.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Up to fairly recently,IIRC;there WERE a lot of 9x19mm auto's made for the Euro market that came with a .30 Luger conversion kit-in fact I seem to remember one of the more compact Ruger P'series(P94???) being sold in that fashion(I know-compact and Ruger P series together in one sentence:p)..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts