Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't claim to be the only one but I can't recall anyone mentioning this online.
Haven't tested it out yet so I'll keep everyone apprised of this.
I've got a decent amount of these and before all the Covid19, political and yada yada yada motivated panic buying they were getting cheap and plentiful.
So why not use them vs. buying ammo boxes? And I've got no small amount of loading spoons also.

Tableware Kitchen utensil Cosmetics Musical instrument Finger

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cartridge profile is a wee bit different so it may or may not matter. Probably won't because as I recall I've some later M1 Carbine stripper clips I used for 5.56 NATO.
I'll know in a minute either way.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, while it worked for whatever reason the first and last couple of rounds took a bit more "oomph" to get into the magazine.
But these are all fresh and new or excellent condition ones and the dry Parkerizing on the steel might be a factor I'm not sure.
Product Material property Wood Everyday carry Bullet

Hand Revolver Ammunition Finger Bullet

Probably quicker than loading from a cartridge box or bag but didn't seem to be as zippy as with 5.56NATO.

Later on I'll purchase 2-3 metal magazines and try those also. If they work slicker that might be a way to also help differentiate.300BO mags from 5.56NATO mags. Might wait until I get up to Cabela's/Bass Pro and see what they have in that regard.

Registered
Have you tried putting .30-30 cartridges on 7.62 mm charger clips. Excellent way to carry 50 in a bandoleer conveniently.

Reactions: gripper and BigEd

Registered
A few years back I was able to get about 20 or so British Army rubberized 5.56mm bandoleers that hold 1) 5x Garand en block clips, 2) 5x 15 rd M1 Carbine mags, 10x 5 rd stripper clips in 6.5x55mm, 10x 5 rd stripper clips in .30-30, .308, .30-06, plus 15x 5 rd stripper clips of 7.62x 39mm. Plus they also fit 5.56mm on stripper clips. They are exceptionally convenient to just grab and go to a range, match, etc.

Registered
I never got into stripper clips. I used them in the army, but afterward never really did except for a few times when the ammo I bought just happened to come on them. For carrying ammo in a quick-to-load state I get their usefulness, but for whatever reason never messed with them much.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the ability to carry loaded magazines particularly in or on customizable packs or LBE with molle webbing all over I can't even see much in the field use of them vs. 10-20 30rd magazines.
With the exception of reducing storage space and packing bulk VS. most of the average ammo box.

Registered
Bandoleers solve 2 potential problems, 1) they are convenient, 2) they are cheap. Imagine carrying 3 boxes of .30-30 ammo during deer season where there is 3 inches of snow on the ground and you are bundled up, the more stuff you carry in your pockets the harder movement is. Imagine in a catastrophic event where you need to provide a relative or trusted friend a defensive firearm on short notice, you hand him a hunting rifle and 2 bandoleers of ammo totaling 100 rds . This person has just been kitted out on the short term. Not everyone has gotten body armor, load bearing equipment, webbing, etc to hand out to trusted friends or relatives in the moment. We all have extra firearms, except the guy that swears by the M16 with a can and conversion kit. A convenient method of transporting ammo for non "standard" firearms amplifies their use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts