Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot some of the Remington .303 rounds this weekend. The standard Express load with the 180-gr soft point core-lokt bullet. This shot pretty well. Didn't shoot off the bench, but it seems a bit more accurate than the surplus stuff I'd been shooting lately (some real old Radway Green, and some newer South African stuff).

For those who reload the .303, how do these bullets fare compared to the commercial FMJ .303 bullets for accuracy? I've yet to reload FMJs, but if they aren't significantly better, I'll try out a case of the Remingtons, for a whopping $15 more money/1000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reloading fot the .303

I know this is late, but I just joined so I have some catching up to do...
I reload for my .303. It's a lot cheaper than paying $1 a shot for factory AND I am using the Remington 180gr. Core-Lokt bullet in my reloads. My .303 LOVES the Rem Core-Lokt SP's. Both the factory and the reloads.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Not sure anytime I've reloaded either .303 or 7.62x54r I've used Sierra bullets.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i've never reloaded that cartridge!, the 'brit/'canuack' surplus for 'fodder'
but,,,that NORMA FACTORY SOFT-POINTS are a load on thin-skinned DEER!

i do not even own a .303. enfield, and the days of 'pickin' one up for $75
are behind me!,,,although, i did, finally SCORE a 'savage-99A' in .308 WINCHESTER last week-end ! :beer:

the FRESHLY SANDED/ WALNUT-STAINED STOCKS/ARE A 'curein' BY THE FIRE-PLACE, AS WE SPEAK, :cool:

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigEd63 said:
Not sure anytime I've reloaded either .303 or 7.62x54r I've used Sierra bullets.
That's what I've ended up doing. 180-gr Pro-Hunters and 174-gr Matchkings for the .303 and 150-gr Pro-hunters for the 7.62x54R.

I noticed the real blunt nose profile of the Remington rounds work fine for general target shooting and such, but hang up if you try to run them through the action quickly. They also lose speed quickly, and thus hit low vis-a-vis the sights.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
brass hammer said:
,,,although, i did, finally SCORE a 'savage-99A' in .308 WINCHESTER last week-end ! :beer:

the FRESHLY SANDED/ WALNUT-STAINED STOCKS/ARE A 'curein' BY THE FIRE-PLACE, AS WE SPEAK, :cool:

brass you lucky dawg! I've been looking for one of those also.
It should turn out to be a good all around shooter. One reason they are hard to spot on the used market.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I'm just getting started reloading with 174 grain Sierra FMJ. They look promising but I haven't got enough long range shooting yet to be positive.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
BigEd63 said:
brass you lucky dawg! I've been looking for one of those also.
It should turn out to be a good all around shooter. One reason they are hard to spot on the used market.
well, i've only found [3] fer' sell in the last [15] years down here! [1] in .243 win. and [2] in .303 british, one of which looked like it was used for "RAIL-ROAD CONSTRUCTION",,[i passed]

i could 'SPIN' the 'YARN' on that 'purchase' in true BRASS HAMMER fashion!
maybe, after a "scotch on the rocks",,,,or [4],,,self TITLED ,,,

"THE RIFLE!,,,and/or,,,THE ART OF THE PEEL!"

as it's kinda funny. :roflmao1: :wavey:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts