Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
major military, in over 30 years. Wake up and smell the coffee. Without help, supply lines, etc, your ONLY hope is to remain undetected, and OVERWHELM anyone you HAVE to deal with, quietly and from ambush. That means a suppressor, and a short barrel, for handiness. The 308 might as well be an AK if it's fired from an 11" barrel. Plus the 308 NEEDS 1.5 lbs and 12"+ of suppressor, or it AINT quiet, rapidfire, with full charge ammo. So what you CHOOSE,if you choose 308 auto, is to make a lot of noise, flinch a lot, have a lot of flash at night, have no 22 unit, no conealment of rifle.

The bs about long range and penetration are GONE if you stick to either thick cover or darkness, as only fools don't, if hostiles are about.

·
Registered
378 Posts
7.62X51 is the standard issue for the M-60, last I heard they were still in service. I have friends, and family to help me so I don't havr to resort in the "Little Red Riding Hood" shopping system You advocate. The 7.62X51 is a fine cartridge out to 600m and the blue helmets would make a helluva aiming point. I do not plan on skulking around feeding off the carcass of society like a maggot, I have made preperations to supply hot food, water, and comfort to my family. I also do not flinch from small rounds like the 7.62X51, in a full sized rifle, but used to own a Remington 600Mohawk that would beat You to death, and didn't havr a recoil pad.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I shoot my AMTs, FNs and AR 10s and I DON'T flinch, and I don't weigh very much. I'm not at all surprised that you do. You apparently know nothing at all about .30 calibers.
I'd love to see you shoot my .416 Rigby. You'd squeeze your eyes so tight and jerk your trigger finger so hard you'd knock the yellow stripe right off your back. :sidestep:

1911sr

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
And tell me, gunkid, what country uses the CAR is their general issue rifle? I know it's not a cartridge, but I do not see any nation at all issuing a pos loser weapon like the CAR. And with it's pitiful ballistics, no nation would want it.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Tell that to the Airborne! And the Marines!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Sounds like a good reason to have a supply of 308 cached. I'm not giving up my M1A.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
1911sr said:
I shoot my AMTs, FNs and AR 10s and I DON'T flinch, and I don't weigh very much. I'm not at all surprised that you do. You apparently know nothing at all about .30 calibers.
I'd love to see you shoot my .416 Rigby. You'd squeeze your eyes so tight and jerk your trigger finger so hard you'd knock the yellow stripe right off your back. :sidestep:

1911sr
Ouch!, not only can she shoot real rifles, but she can kick his a$$ at the same time. . .

Another point to ponder, if he's planning on using "the GI round" then ANY effectiveness he THOUGHT he had with his special handloads (which he doesn't have) goes out the window. The CAR is a POS unless you're clearing rooms in a building.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hell, I'd pay him to shoot my .338 just to see if he could put more than 2 rounds down range and actually hit something... but I don't think he could handle the recoil...

Mike

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
The 7.62mm NATO cartridge is general issue with the Mexican Army just to the south of here. The Mexicans are surprisingly well equipped nowadays.

Most of the ammo you'll use is the ammo you already have. Unless you bushwhack a supply truck, scavanged ammo will be scarce unless you are taking it off of the dead. In that case you'll probably pick up the weapon to fire it too.

For resupply from government forces, your best bet is actualy 5.56mm. You'd probably find a fair amount of 7.62mmNATO, usually belted in NATO standard disintegrating links. If you are in somplace like Appalachia or the Ozarks, where every hillbilly has an SKS or an AK, you might find the 7.62x39mm to be super common amongst the locals, many of whom probably have thousands of rounds stashed.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Attachments

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
double hmmmmm

Attachments

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
triple hmmmmmmmmmm

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The M14/M1A gets quite a workout for an "obsolete" rifle.

Garand 1, GK 0

RIKA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Hi 1911sr. I'm glad to see you posting again and
"I'd love to see you shoot my .416 Rigby."

I'd love to see him try to shoot your .416 Rigby too!.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Hey 1911sr!

Glad to hear from you again!

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Sorry guys, 1911sr's post was dated 7-30-2003 - before she left. 1911sr is recuperating in Florida at this time and isn't posting on any board.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I am sorry to hear it RIKA.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
If you can get in touch with her, tell her we are thinking about her and wishing her the best!

:devil:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Notice that most of the M-14's were locked on semi-auto fire? A good move. Nobody, but nobody, can control an M-14 on full auto. They tried to make the weapon something it's not. Semi-Auto makes the M-14 shine. Anyone that thinks it's no longer a viable combat weapon has rocks in their head. Why don't we say that the Colt 1911A1 is no longer useful?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts