Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
acceptance accuracy is 3 MOA, even in a 1/2 MOA rifle, it aint a reliable hitter of torsos at 1/4 mile. you're too cheap to buy match ammo, so, no you AINT got more reach than a 223 has.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
acceptance accuracy is 3 MOA, even in a 1/2 MOA rifle, it aint a reliable hitter of torsos at 1/4 mile. you're too cheap to buy match ammo, so, no you AINT got more reach than a 223 has.
Who is this directed at? And who is so cheap to only use ball?

I get it that you can’t handle .308, but others can.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Guess what? .223 is also made for belt feds. Perhaps you haven’t heard of the SAW (249)?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Guntard's at it again!

JHC! What a presumptive fool!
He can reload but no one else can eh?
Buymatch ammo?
I only bought some last year but I've been reloading .308Win match ammo for 30+ years.

And btw Guntard 7.62 NATO FMJ, unless mfg. in someplace like Outer Elbonia tends to group from 0.5MOA to 1.5MOA depending on the rifle and ammo combination. I'm talking bolt action and match grade semi autos. Of course the days of widely available and decently priced 7.62NATO are long gone.
The best shooting of the surplus stuff for my rifles was British Radway Green machine gun ammo I had to de-link. If you study the term Cone of Fire you may come to realize why that type of ammo can be so
accurate in a rifle with a quality barrel in good condition.

Simply put Melvin doesn't know what he doesn't know.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
308 ball ammo is made for belt feds. acceptance accuracy is 3 MOA, even in a 1/2 MOA rifle, it aint a reliable hitter of torsos at 1/4 mile. you're too cheap to buy match ammo, so, no you AINT got more reach than a 223 has.
Who recommended using .308 ball ammo?

And make up your mind - one day you say we love to brag about how much money we spend, and then the next you say we're to cheap to spend money.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
He also doesn’t seem to know what the DMR is and how it is used for counter RPG. Nor does he know why it isn’t a .223.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The .308 doesn't exceed the .223 in range? Try your garden variety M-14 against M-16. Why were Military ranges geared to 350 Meter's for the M-14 and 300 for the M-16? Melvin's just afraid of the recoil which hurt's his widdle shoulder.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
if he were in the sandbox, he'd be singing the praises of the .308. especially against RPGs. there is a need to engage targets out to 800m, which is within the envelope of modern RPGs.

but he'd probably be shot by his fellow soldiers before having to face that threat...

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Given that I live in the bald a$$ prairie, I appreciate the .308 diameter bullet.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
When milsurp 7.62BATO was cheap and plentiful I used to have a bunch of it in hand. Now it's either loaded Hornady Black 155gr or Sierra 168gr HPBT Match in my pet load.

However 147-150gr FMJ isn't any slouch on people or Varmints where legal.
One gentleman living in iirc Texas on Warrior Talk posted a picture of a group of wild pigs
Shot with FMJ and many had ruptured abdomens. Not huge hogs but no piglets either +/-60 pounds would be a guess.
Rifle looked maybe to be a SA Inc Scout Squad M1A iirc as my focus was on the messed up hogs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts