Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hk 51? Oh dear that's the G3 thing that thinks it's an MP-5? Right? Woa boy was that muffled as well?

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Full-size .308 with 20-rd box mags and full stock. It wasn't suppressed. It would be capable of many things, but nothing that I need to do.

At 850 rounds per minute, that's something like $8-$10 per second for ammo cost nowadays. I simply don't want to try to feed something like that.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've never had a desire to own a full auto anything except either a mini 1919A1 belt fed .22lr or an American 180.
At least until now cheap shooting.
Never did and the prices for brother are getting Cra-zzzzy!

Would rather do that on Uncle Sam's dollar

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Full auto is of limited value in the context of survival.

It’s clear that Boati is afraid of the .308 - he spends way too much time railing against it. I probably wouldn’t choose it to bug out with, but I wouldn’t feel hampered in the slightest if I did.

flexibility is key.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Regarding full auto, I'm not even a fan of the binary triggers that are so popular now. I absolutely wouldn't trust myself to not have ND's when meaning to do a simple trigger reset. I try to reset during recoil for efficiency's sake, and years of doing that would be a hard habit to break.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
John, I tried one once at a public range.
In fact one up were I used to live in Neosho MO.
The young fellow who let me try it was well versed in it's use.
Me I could get it to run but as you say it's just not something I'm used to either.
I can find the reset point on most triggers and run them pretty fast.
For whatever reason the Ruger Mini-14 and the AK-47/TAPCO G2: were the easiest for me to run like a bullet hose, if I want to.
But don't see much need.

If I did on an AR platform I'd probably go with the Geissele Super Dynamic 3:gun trigger.

However don't see the need currently for a semi-suto SAW.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
308 fans r dumbasses. No advantage over 223 at night or in thick cover, and only idiots are in open country in daylight. So why bother with the pos? Just means no concealment, no .22 unit, no can, or no handiness with can, same thing, carry half as much ammo, etc.
I read this again and realized that the 'truth' regarding 308 vs 223, is equally true if talking about the 223 vs the 9mm pistol. If it's dark and the target is behind cover (ie, we can't see the target and the bullet can't get to the target anyway), it really doesn't matter what caliber we're talking about. The 223 (especially a 223 softpoint from a short barrel) has LESS barrier penetration than a lot of pistol loads, so even that 'advantage' is gone in this silly exercise.

For that matter, the pistol actually exceeds the 223 for this argument. It's more easily concealed, it's easier to suppress, and uses ammo roughly the same weight. So by this yardstick, the 9mm beats both the 223 rifle AND the 308 rifle. And if we continue down these same "advantage" paths (effectiveness and convenience when encountering targets that can't be seen or hit - 🤡 ), a 5.7x28 pistol exceeds even the 9mm pistol. It's every bit as effective against targets that can't be seen or hit, it's easy to suppress, and its ammo is substantially lighter than than even the 9mm.

And hory clap - continuing one stop further along this same alleged logic train, a 22 pistol would beat out ALL of them. I mean, it's more easily concealed, it's easier to suppress, it's inherently its own ".22 unit", it's undeniably more handy, and allows the carry of MUCH more ammunition.

There we go - the perfect shtf fighting weapon? The mighty rimfire Beretta 21 with suppressor. See? There is method to the madness...

Yes, that's silly. And that's my point. Because the reasons listed for the 308 having "no advantage" over a 223 shorty (on targets that you can't see and can't hit), are undeniably equally true about a 223 shorty not being better than a 22 pistol. The deeper you read some of this stuff, the deeper and clearer the jackassery gets.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I still don't understand how a .308 makes you mill about in the open - what is the mystical power of the round that does this, or is it the weapon that makes you do this? (My AR-10 appears to be faulty, because I never feel compelled to stand around in the open with it, other than at the range.)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
You have to start at the beginning with Melvin's WROL fantasy scenario. He makes the assumption that everyone will be out wandering around like him because he never made any plans for the future. Melvin actually believes the fantasy of being a successful marauder. The problem Melvin lacks the knowledge of being anything but a "one trick pony". Melvin might get lucky once, twice, three, four times but eventually he is going to come up against someone who has been to a 2 way range, or has some serious hunting and marksmanship skills. That's when the "one trick pony" looses out.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts