Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
performance, when 223 was "only" kicking their asses at realistic combat ranges. About 10 years ago, the 223 80 gr vld and 1 in 8 rifling came out, and 223 started winning the 600 yd stage, too. So NOW it's the "penetration-advantage", and the 800+ yd advantage for the 308. The .560 BC, 90 gr 223 will pretty soon kick the 308's butt at 800 yds, too, most likely.

The 308 alreadycan't hope to compete when it comes to bulkiness or wt of gun, mags, ammo, scope, mount, or suppressor, or speed of handling, or cost of practice and match ammo, or availability of ammo, post shtf.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
The 308 alreadycan't hope to compete when it comes to bulkiness or wt of gun, mags, ammo, scope, mount, or suppressor, or speed of handling, or cost of practice and match ammo, or availability of ammo, post shtf.
Totally ignorant babblings of a keyboard commando who is stuck in the 1980's. andy's ssi couldn't buy him a good gun if he could buy one legally.

Boy, talk about barrel length envy.

RIKA (bringer of good cheer and answerer of dumb posts)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
andy said:
performance, when 223 was "only" kicking their asses at realistic combat ranges. About 10 years ago, the 223 80 gr vld and 1 in 8 rifling came out, and 223 started winning the 600 yd stage, too. So NOW it's the "penetration-advantage", and the 800+ yd advantage for the 308. The .560 BC, 90 gr 223 will pretty soon kick the 308's butt at 800 yds, too, most likely.

which of course is why they are being deployed over in the sand box. This is why guys can't wait until at least one shows up in their groups...

But, then again, punching paper is simply that, punching paper. Combat is where the targets shoot back.

I wonder what GK will be posting when the 6.8 starts being issued?

One thing you fail to mention, I'm really curious about, where does the 10' poodle shooter show up in the matches?

:devil:

·
Registered
280 Posts

Hmm I always figured if I was going to shoot matches (outside of millitary style matches) I would pick the 300 Win Mag just because of what it is and what it has done for the last 30 plus years. I guess it is a little bit loud and has a bit more recoil than some but it sure will make longer shots much less difficult. Even in my "semi" skilled hands effective range is increased greatly. Inside of 200 yards it vaporised deer and always shot clean through Moose with a 180 partition( most shots were 150 yards or less) When you say .308 do you mean millitary round? or bullet diameter? Then again what does it matter. Everyone should shoot what they enjoy.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Actually Tard, what you don't understand is that most of the top .308 shooters have moved on from the 600 yard matches. Most of them shoot in the 1000 yard shoots now.

Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
Repeat after me

paper is not people

paper is not people

paper is not people

Single loading an 80gr VLD is not combat practical.

90&100gr 223 bullets aren't coming anytime soon, the .mil gave up on them because the trajectory sucks.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

but it more than competes at lethality, especially at the longer ranges. Target shooting is not combat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts