Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a manufacturer recommendation on a .308. I was looking at Remington and Browning. Any other makers worth having a look at? (and why please).

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts
what's it FOR, and how much will u shoot

it? In a BOLT action, if cost is a factor, I'd say get a Mosin Nagant instead of a 308. If you want rapidfire, Browning and Remington offer autoloaders, but there's also the FAL, HK-clones, etc. Most of what guys THINK that they want a 308 auto for, they'd be better off with an sks, actually. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,117 Posts
hey, clown, not everyone has $700 to

BLOW on a mere TOY, which IS all that a scoped bolt action 308 amounts to. It lacks the trajectory and the poop to be a really good long range sniper or big game load, and it's no fighting gun.
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
What exactly are you looking for in a .308? Lots of possibilities, depending on what your goals are and financial range of consideration. Hunting, plinking, benchrest? All kinds of options have to be considered depending on the way you intend to use the gun.

The Steyr Scout in .308 is a real handy little gun if you are looking for a bolt action. Also look real hard at a Savage, as they are damned good shooters for the money. Remington makes some excellent police models. I'm kind of fond of the heavy stainless barrel models, but they are more for sitting at a bench with rather than hauling them around in the woods.

If you want a military style semi-auto, and price isn't too much of a concern, look at a FN-FAL (true Belgian model). Also the M1A, Galil, Valmet, or Sig AMT would be possibilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
target and fun

I'm looking at the .308 instead of the 30-06 for economic reasons. I just picked up a Remington 870 Police Mag 12g and I already have a pistol so now I want to get a rifle. I don't hunt (because I have albertsons for that but, that doesn't mean I condone nor disapprove of hunting).

My personal opinion is if you hunt and kill, you should eat it. I'm not into wasting. Anywho, enough of my thoughts. I'm here to hear your guys thoughts.

What's a good rifle for some long range shooting? The ranges here are 150-300, I do have access to 800-1000 but that's after the range shuts down and I happen to know/volunteer with the guys that run the shop.

I'd like bolt action and was checking out the Remington Titanium. I'm not looking to win olympic contests, nor do I want to shell out a few grand. I'm keeping in mind that a nice scope will probably cost more than the rifle itself. I'm looking for something that is relatively high quality without the price, I would like something common that's easy to fix/get parts for, etc., nothing exotic that I have to have customed machined or anything.

I've seen leupold and nikon thrown around here too. So any thoughts/comments on that would be great too.

Again, thanks for your time and posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Re: target and fun

fishheadsoup said:
I'm looking at the .308 instead of the 30-06 for economic reasons. I just picked up a Remington 870 Police Mag 12g and I already have a pistol so now I want to get a rifle. I don't hunt (because I have albertsons for that but, that doesn't mean I condone nor disapprove of hunting).

My personal opinion is if you hunt and kill, you should eat it. I'm not into wasting. Anywho, enough of my thoughts. I'm here to hear your guys thoughts.
No one can disagree with those statements, certainly not me.


What's a good rifle for some long range shooting? The ranges here are 150-300, I do have access to 800-1000 but that's after the range shuts down and I happen to know/volunteer with the guys that run the shop.
If you want to shoot at a thousand yards, you need one of the thirty caliber magnums, or a .30-338. Although the .30-06 has been successfully used at those ranges.

To succesfully shoot at one thousand yards, the bullet needs to still be sonic, (faster than the sound barrier, which is 1167 fps at sea level, at 59ºF, At 29.92 inches of mercury, barometric pressure) at that range. The weight of the bullet, you use, will determine which caliber would be best for you to use, usually.


I'd like bolt action and was checking out the Remington Titanium. I'm not looking to win olympic contests, nor do I want to shell out a few grand. I'm keeping in mind that a nice scope will probably cost more than the rifle itself. I'm looking for something that is relatively high quality without the price, I would like something common that's easy to fix/get parts for, etc., nothing exotic that I have to have customed machined or anything.
There are many good bolt actions on the market, what you will hear here is the private opinions of quiet a few people, that have well defined likes and dislikes. Such as, you couldn't give me a Savage rifle, with a gun at my head. Others love the rifle.

I personally prefer Winchester bolt action rifles. Others will favor Remington. It's a Ford and Chevy thing. I like the new Rugers too.

Ruger, when they started out producing rifles, used Douglas barrels, and they could really shoot well. Then Ruger started using barrels made by the cheapest supplier and their accuracy went into the toilet. Now, Ruger has built their own hammer-forged barrel facility, and their accuracy seems to have came back. I have a Ruger 308, laminated stock, stainless, heavy barrel rifle, with accuracy that impresses me.

When you say economic reasons, that limits your selection quiet a bit. If it were me, and if I could do it, I would put off the rifle purchase until I could afford one of the better names of rifles, and which of course are much pricier.

FN, Fabriqe National, now owns US Repeating arms, which owns Winchester, has made a model called the SPR, Special Police Rifle. I have read five or six tests, of the rifle, from people whose opinions I respect. In every one of those tests, the rifle, in .308 caliber, has shot into a half an inch at one hundred yards, right out of the box. That is mighty unusual in anybodys language.


I've seen leupold and nikon thrown around here too. So any thoughts/comments on that would be great too.

Again, thanks for your time and posts.
I have over thirty scoped rifles from 22 LR to .30-06's, all of these rifles wear Leupold scopes. For me, Leupold is the only way to go, because of their proven quality, and their life-time guarantee. If you bought a used Leupold, and it was bad, send it to Leupold and they will put it right, for free.

Now having said all of that, I haven't heard any negative comments on Nikon, but I have on many of the other brands.

If you buy a .308 rifle, a good scope for it is the Leupold VARI-AX III 3.5X10X40 M3, with side focus parallax adjustment. These M3 scopes have BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator) cams that closely approximate the trajectory characteristics of the .223, .308, .30-06 and the 300 Winchester magnum, at the standard book velocities for those cartridges.

Bill
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
Honestly, if you are looking for an economical bolt action .308, take a look at a Savage. I have Savages in .220 Swift, 22-250, and .308 and they all shoot very well.

And definitely DON'T scrimp on the scope. Believe me, you will regret it, no matter how attractive those el cheapo models may seem at first. I have bought used rifles in the past with cheap scopes on them and first thing I did was to take off the scope and put on a Leupold, Swarovski, or Lightforce.

Check out Ebay for used Leupolds. You can't go wrong that way. Resale value on them always stays up, so years from now when you want to sell it you will get your money back, and then maybe even make a small profit if you play your cards right. Resale on the cheap scopes is virtually nothing.

Bill - that SPR, Special Police Rifle sounds interesting. Expensive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Rich Z said:


<snip>

Bill - that SPR, Special Police Rifle sounds interesting. Expensive?
Rich - They are going for about $1650.00.

I have only seen one in person, however, at the best local gun emporium, I will be getting the next one that comes in.

One of the nicest things about the SPR is that it is made on the Classic action. The Classic action, is the same as the Pre-64 Winchester action, with the claw extractor.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,944 Posts
If I were getting a new bolt action in .308 right now, I'd get a No4 MkIV made by AIA - Australian International Arms.

They are a beefed up SMLE No4 MkII action made specifically for the .308 round. The No4 MkII was the last model used by the British military in the 1950's. It has an improved trigger assembly that is mounted to the receiver instead of the trigger guard assembly.

The AIA No4 MkIV is a souped up MkII made of a more modern steel and strengthened for the .308 round.

They also have a modernized magwell and mag release for a quick change of 5, 10, and 20 round M-14 compatible mags. The rifles come with 10 round M-14 mags. The original SMLE was made to normally be loaded with stripper clips with the priginal intent of the mag being taken out normally only for cleaning.

They also have built in iron peep sights and a removable M1913 Picatinny rail for mounting optics.

The SMLE is a fast firing bolt action with a short stroke bolt that only needs to rotate 60 degrees instead of the 90 degrees of your typical Mauser style rifle (most commercial hunting rifles).

As Garand can testify, the SMLE functions well in the harshest climates, including sub-zero temps. The Canadian Army's Rangers, their equivalent to our Eskimo Scouts, are still armed with the SMLE because of the harshness of the climate. The Canadians still keep an SMLE in the survival gear of their C130 transport aircraft.

The SMLE was designed for combat and it will keep trucking when other rifles just choke up and die on you. You can also reload it a lot faster than a commercial bolt action. The main problem with aimed fire from a bolt action in a fight often isn't the rate of fire but the rate of reload.

The importer is TriStar and the starting price, brand new, is about US$760.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/m10rifles.htm



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Rich:
Thank you, and let me go there and look right now.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
mrostov said:
If I were getting a new bolt action in .308 right now, I'd get a No4 MkIV made by AIA - Australian International Arms.

They are a beefed up SMLE No4 MkII action made specifically for the .308 round. The No4 MkII was the last model used by the British military in the 1950's. It has an improved trigger assembly that is mounted to the receiver instead of the trigger guard assembly.

The AIA No4 MkIV is a souped up MkII made of a more modern steel and strengthened for the .308 round.

They also have a modernized magwell and mag release for a quick change of 5, 10, and 20 round M-14 compatible mags. The rifles come with 10 round M-14 mags. The original SMLE was made to normally be loaded with stripper clips with the priginal intent of the mag being taken out normally only for cleaning.

They also have built in iron peep sights and a removable M1913 Picatinny rail for mounting optics.

The SMLE is a fast firing bolt action with a short stroke bolt that only needs to rotate 60 degrees instead of the 90 degrees of your typical Mauser style rifle (most commercial hunting rifles).

As Garand can testify, the SMLE functions well in the harshest climates, including sub-zero temps. The Canadian Army's Rangers, their equivalent to our Eskimo Scouts, are still armed with the SMLE because of the harshness of the climate. The Canadians still keep an SMLE in the survival gear of their C130 transport aircraft.

The SMLE was designed for combat and it will keep trucking when other rifles just choke up and die on you. You can also reload it a lot faster than a commercial bolt action. The main problem with aimed fire from a bolt action in a fight often isn't the rate of fire but the rate of reload.

The importer is TriStar and the starting price, brand new, is about US$760.

http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/m10rifles.htm



An interesting rifle worthy of consideration.

However, the one that caught my eye, was the MK10-A2 in 7.62X39, that used the AK magazines. That is a real interesting rifle.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Re: Appreciated

fishheadsoup said:
You guys rock. I'll check out the SMLE and FNA1A as well as the others mentioned.

Thanks again.
It's been a pleasure to do business with you.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Rich Z said:
Bill - did you check out those FN rifles on Gunsamerica? Were they what you were looking for?
Rich:
The one for $1275.00 is an SPR, the other on wasn't.

My deal with the local gun emporium is a good bit less than $1275.00. I have been buying from this shop since 1960, so I get the good guys price on what I buy. The owner of the store, is the son of the man, who started the business. His father and I, were best friends for many years.

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
If you want a great shooter out of the box, get a Remington 700 LTR in .308. I've shot and seen literally dozens of them shot and not one has performed worse than 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Remington has a great little setup in that rifle and it's running with some of the big dogs.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,815 Posts
Hard Rock said:
If you want a great shooter out of the box, get a Remington 700 LTR in .308. I've shot and seen literally dozens of them shot and not one has performed worse than 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

Remington has a great little setup in that rifle and it's running with some of the big dogs.

Mike
The above is true. I just wouldn't want to pay an addition $100.00 plus dollars to have the Sako extractor installed in it.

At the gunshop where I used to work, several times Remington Rifles, were in for repair, having cases removed, because of the extractor failing.

The repair never required more than having a rod put down the barrel, knocking the stuck case out, but customers asked for the service.

Bill
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
Stillwater said:
Rich:
The one for $1275.00 is an SPR, the other on wasn't.

My deal with the local gun emporium is a good bit less than $1275.00. I have been buying from this shop since 1960, so I get the good guys price on what I buy. The owner of the store, is the son of the man, who started the business. His father and I, were best friends for many years.

Bill
Bill, did you ever get one of those SPRs? I read a real interesting review about this gun and it's caught my interest. I can't seem to find many of them for sale, though. Just wondering if you got one and what you thought of it if you did.

I have a Swarovski 6x24x50 sitting around that I think would be a good match for a gun like this.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top