Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have much shooting time with one of these?
Any reason to have one in addition to a .300win mag?

Besides "just cause" I mean........

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The .338 Magnum fired through a nice bolt action, (SAKO?) if I recall, It's possible it was a Weatherby, was accurate as could be and with a Nikon Scope produced groups that were so tight at two hundred-fifty yards that I won't mention them. It also recoiled like Hell and would be slow for follow up shot's, but they probably wouldn't be necessary. Not something to buy for your Wife or Child. Great rifle cartridge but I don't see any real advantage over the .300 Magnum.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Terry,

I was thinking I could work up some 190 or 200gr bullets and get close to the terminal kinetic effect of the 338 win mag....

not exactly the same , but close enough...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
when it comes to large bore rifles the 338 win. is a good round. myself though have shot a number of them and due to recoil the payoff is not worth it. i own a 358 norma mag. the recoil is not as sever as the 338 and the down range energy is above what the 338 can deliver with all bullet weights. as for a reason for having one verses a 300 mag i can't find one. the 300 will do most of everything that the 338 or the 358 will do. my only reason for the 358 was bear hunting and now days you have to look at the odds of you going to Alaska to shoot a coastal brown bear. if the bear is not in your future the only reason for a 338 or a 358 is just to have one.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
There's no reason for the 300 win mag, either, actually. If the 308 can't handle it, it's WAY outrageous, whatever it is you are thinking of doing.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
]I have a .338 Win mag - nice rifle in a McMillan stock. If you have the 300, you already have enough gun for anything in north america.

I got it for use as my elk gun, plus I got a good one and it is extremely accurate. I also load it and my .280 so they have the same hold over out to 300 yds.

I love it, but unless you have the itch for another caliber, the 300 is fine.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
when it comes to large bore rifles the 338 win. is a good round. myself though have shot a number of them and due to recoil the payoff is not worth it. i own a 358 norma mag. the recoil is not as sever as the 338 and the down range energy is above what the 338 can deliver with all bullet weights. as for a reason for having one verses a 300 mag i can't find one. the 300 will do most of everything that the 338 or the 358 will do. my only reason for the 358 was bear hunting and now days you have to look at the odds of you going to Alaska to shoot a coastal brown bear. if the bear is not in your future the only reason for a 338 or a 358 is just to have one.
I have a pretty big brake on my .338, though once the suppressor goes through, it's coming off. I love going to the range to check that it is sighted in. last time I went, I was on one of the end benches. I fired my first round, and the line went silent as everyone turned to see what I was shooting. After the next three, they ignored me.

I got the .338 for Bear, Elk, and for the "one day" Alaska hunt. I've since relegated it to bear, coyotes, and the "one day" Alaska hunt. The bow has become my elk weapon of choice, and it may also become my bear weapon of choice. if that happens, then I'll save the .338 for Alaska, or the day Antifa shows up in my neighborhood wearing body armor. A 225gr Barnes will destroy a ceramic plate inside 200 yards. We did some testing. At 300 yards, you're still going to experience some severe blunt force trauma. AR 500 plates depend on whether they are coated on both sides. you will get a lot of spalling.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
There's no reason for the 300 win mag, either, actually. If the 308 can't handle it, it's WAY outrageous, whatever it is you are thinking of doing.
Who needs a reason? Besides, the .308 is useless. You've posted this numerous times. I have no reason to own many guns. I own them because I want to.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Our over recoil sensitive "Excitable Boy"don't seem to understand long distance precision shooting as a sport.
But he can't shoot in any formal competition either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts