Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WAY beyond what a "non fully supported" 9x19 barrel can handle, and Winchester 9mm brass is well known to be thin and weak. The thicker NATO spec brass will give higher velocities, with slightly smaller charges of Bullseye. There's also the option of using small Rifle primers, to get swifter ignition of the powder charge, making a smaller charge deliver higher speeds, in a short barrel.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That's funny, I just checked and SAAMI has no spec for the .356 TSW. Non +P 9mm loads are rated at 35,000 psi and +P is rated at 38,500 psi.

So, who has rated the .356 TSW at 45,000 psi?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
All the more reason to NOT overload pot metal guns that are only rated for standard pressure 9mm.

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
So which gun magazine are you quoting erika/gunkid?

·
Registered
397 Posts
andy said:
S&W would be my guess. They are the ones who set up the rd in the first place.
That's the way pressure standards are normally set, by the manufacturer. They tell SAAMI, not the other way around.

Not that it matters any, but the figure I'm seeing for that round is 37,000 PSI (from a source that might be a little suspect). Where did you pull up the 45,000 CUP figure? Most CUP pressure ratings bear a little scrutiny now.

DC

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
What is the source of the numbers?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The source of my 37,000 PSI is from an individual who has been wrong before. That's why I say the number may be suspect. I can't find any "official" spec for that cartridge. I was wondering where Andy got the 45,000 CUP figure. Nobody that I know of measures in CUP or LUP any more, although that doesn't mean that he is wrong. It could well be the old spec and never re-measured.

Doesn't really matter to me, I don't have a .356 and probably will never have any occasion to pressure test one. Just curious.

DC

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 356 TSW provides 357 Sig performance, in a smaller case than that of the Sig round, so the pressures HAVE to be higher than the Sig rds pressures.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The .356 TSW has about 100+ fps more than the .357 SIG. In a smaller case, this means a significantly higher pressure for the .356 TSW. The fact that the .356 TSW never became a factory chambering suggests that the pressure may have been damaging to the pistols.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts