Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran three different .357 magnum loads through three different guns over the chronograph. Hornady’s and Underwood’s loadings of 125-grain XTP’s, and Buffalo Bore’s 158-grain jhp load. The guns were an L-frame 3” s&w 686, a compact 16” carbine, and a full size 24” rifle.

From a handgun, the .357 magnum is a very good round. From a carbine or rifle, it’s like a very good round on meth; in almost every case more than doubling the power of the same load from the handgun. With two out of three loads, even the little 10-22 size 16” carbine exceeded 2,000 fps and 1,300 ft/lbs of energy, and in one case, the full size rifle hit 2,300 fps; all with factory loads. People didn’t used to believe it when I would tell them what the .357 does from a levergun, so fwiw, the actual numbers as they appeared on the chronograph:

· Registered
10,958 Posts
I'm jealous of your lack of white stuff on the ground!

· Registered
7,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t be too jealous. It’s the strangest weather today we’ve had in a long time. At 2:30 this afternoon, it was so dark our outside lights came on, so foggy I couldn’t see the pond, and then it started thundering, which is pretty much unknown with this kind of fog. And then a few minutes ago they issued a tornado watch and flash flood watch both for the next six hours on top of everything else. Weird weather day.

· Administrator
2,746 Posts
Don’t be too jealous. It’s the strangest weather today we’ve had in a long time. At 2:30 this afternoon, it was so dark our outside lights came on, so foggy I couldn’t see the pond, and then it started thundering, which is pretty much unknown with this kind of fog. And then a few minutes ago they issued a tornado watch and flash flood watch both for the next six hours on top of everything else. Weird weather day.
We've got the same screwy weather here today. Thick fog late morning. Then a brief respite with sunny skies...then a couple hours later wham storms and tornado watches out. Flooding probably, water has been way up. I was going to go work out tonight but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get back home or not

· Administrator
2,746 Posts
Well things cleared out here. What's odd is the water damage was negligible. Few road corners washed out where the pavement hits the gravel but not bad.
So I managed to get out the afternoon and run a few errands. Found some H-110 at Cabela's/Bass Pro and one LGS had a crap ton of pistol primers of all brands and types in. Right now I gotta get back to making up some test loads and trying them out to see which ones work best standard or Magnum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts