Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the recession calls for thriftiness, I have been casting bullets of late. I would like to load .38 S&Ws with unsized 168 gr. Keith bullets lubed with Lee liquid Alox but I have been unable to locate any powder data for this bullet and cartridge combination. I'm thinking that 3.0 grains of Unique or 2.3 grains of Bullseye should do. Does anyone have any data?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
after looking closely at the back of my brain, i seem to recall that somewhere in the range of 2.2 grains of bullseye or 2.7 grains of red dot should do the trick. after all the original factory loads were getting about 650 to 700 fps with 180 grain bullet. so give it a shot(no pun intended) just kind of worked out that way.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Below is some data for lead bullets above and below the weight of yours, these are considered max loads...AA-2 is comparable to Red Dot. I think Neo has it right, for max load,... a starting load, I would try about 2.3 grains..of red dot..

195 AA-2 2.3 max load
158 AA-2 2.8 max load

I use ammoguide.com, looked up this cartridge, along with the 38 spcl, and the family to the .357 Maximum.... Didn't realize there was a .357 Special Magnum, which is just a little larger than the .357 mag...

The 38 S&W is a pretty small case... if the gun is small too, should work well for carry....
Good luck with the load workup...

·
Registered
16 Posts
For what it's worth: I use 145gr Suter's Choice .361 bullets available thru Graf and Sons (Mexico, Missouri). Through my Enfield revolver, W-W nickel-plated cases/CCI small pistol primers and 2.6gr Bullseye generate mv=704fps; Remington brass cases/Remington small pistol primers and 2.8gr Bullseye generate mv=714fps.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i guess thats not to bad for dusting off old memories. maybe the brain still works sometimes.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the data. I'm loading for a Webley Mk IV with a 4" bbl which, by the way, carries very well. It's a good shooter too. In the past, I've loaded 150 and 158 gr SWs but not the 168, which I like in the .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Whenever I get around to finding a suitable mould, I'd like to try to duplicate the .380/200 load.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts