Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had 2 decades of 185gr, 950 fps .45 jhp, and they didn't amount to acrap, so WHY "think" such .40 jhp loads amount to a crap? they DON'T. The 135 gr, 1250 fps loads (given a real chronoed load, in a typical ccw gun's short barrel) is ok,but it's really only 10% more power than can be had with the 9x19. Whoopee.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Unlike the 9x19mm, the .40 shorty has proven itself almost as effective as the .357 Magnum in police shootings.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
andy said:
We had 2 decades of 185gr, 950 fps .45 jhp, and they didn't amount to acrap, so WHY "think" such .40 jhp loads amount to a crap? they DON'T. The 135 gr, 1250 fps loads (given a real chronoed load, in a typical ccw gun's short barrel) is ok,but it's really only 10% more power than can be had with the 9x19. Whoopee.
It doesn't amount to crap. it amounts to something MUCH more valuable.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bs, it just aint shot enough guys yet. You'll see LOTS of failures with it, especially with the 180 gr loads, by the time it's shot as many men as got shot with the 125 gr 357 jhp, 4" barrel. Only a few hundred shootings a year occur with cops, getting SOLID hits to the chest, are a LOT less frequent, and .40 aint even half of the cop calibers. so it will take many years for the .40 to show what's what. I already know what the true result will be, because there's NOTHING better about a 180 gr .40 than a 185 gr .45, and I shot a lot of animals with the latter,a nd it's nothing much.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
andy said:
bs, it just aint shot enough guys yet. You'll see LOTS of failures with it, especially with the 180 gr loads, by the time it's shot as many men as got shot with the 125 gr 357 jhp, 4" barrel. Only a few hundred shootings a year occur with cops, getting SOLID hits to the chest, are a LOT less frequent, and .40 aint even half of the cop calibers. so it will take many years for the .40 to show what's what. I already know what the true result will be, because there's NOTHING better about a 180 gr .40 than a 185 gr .45, and I shot a lot of animals with the latter,a nd it's nothing much.

I thought you were moving off to another board?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts