Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any experience with a .408 Chey Tac? They look like a good substitute for a .50. Can anyone back up the companys sub-MOA at 1000 accuracy?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I guess I would be interested in a nose to nose comparison of both cartridges (.50 BMG vs .408 CT). Anyone have that kind of experience?

·
Registered
24 Posts
A friend has both EDM Arms .50 Windrunner and .408. I have shot the .408 and it's accurate but you have to remember they're trying to sell it.

Some of the claims they make are pretty astounding and I think the .408 would have a hard time keep up with them. The parent company is also trying to horde the .408, I think they think they're going to get rich off a single cartridge. It ain't going anywhere if they try to keep it to themselves, when a big company like Win. or Hornady start loading it, your in.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Well heck, if they made a rifle with a .50BMG cartridge necked down to .408 maybe they would have something. There are a LOT of cartridges out there. What does the .408 do that something else already out there can't do? It has to be either bigger, faster, heavier, or magic to attract any attention.

Heck, something like a 20mm necked down to .50 would get my blood a pumping!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the freebore and throat erosion would make you nuts. I think the 20/50 was made by McMillan, fatmac? Would have to look around to see if I can find a pic of one.

The 14.5mm JDJ by SSK Industries looks very promising as does the 510 DTC.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
50 Shooter said:
Basically a .50 BMG case that's been slightly modified but still uses all the same components.
So WHY, then? What does the new cartridge do that the old .50BMG doesn't?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats actually a great reason for its development. Gettin the hommies on the West Side in on some extra long range action without breaking the law.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
50 Shooter said:
It's NOT banned in Kalifornia. :dgrin:

It's just another way for Mfg's to spit in the faces of the politicians here.
Eh? The law is THAT specific that it means ONLY .50BMG?

I don't know. If it is NAMED and PROMOTED as a .510 cartridge, sure as hell someone is going to bring up the Destructive Device question about it. I think that would be REALLY kicking the hornet's nest, BIG TIME.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, Kali only has the .50 BMG down. Theyll have to modify their law to include individual cartriges the way that it is configured. Its kind of like how IP banning was implemented on game servers, user names could be changed. The same is hapening with the 510, new name, same thing.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Well, I would be REAL careful about drawing a lot of attention to the fact that the .50BMG is actually greater in diameter then one half inch. This could become a land mine being stepped on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's exempt, it all has to do with the lands and groves. I believe it's the lands that are .50 and the groves are .510 or something like that.

Just like shotguns, .600 & .700 Nitro and now the 14.5mm JDJ and some other cartridges are exempt by the BATFE.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Maybe so, but I wouldn't want to press our luck. How did the StreetSweeper get refedined as a Destructive Device? And this was as "ex-post facto" as you can get, which is specifically mentioned in the Constitution as being a prohibited act by our government.

How HARD do you think our representatives would fight a minor hair-splitting definition that would put our .50 firearms into this class?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts