Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Handloads make the Marlin 45-70 LA shine like a bright new star. I loaded IMR 4198 powder under a Remington 405gr factory jacketed soft point for my test. 38 grains gave me 1 1/2in groups at 100yds. 39gr gave 1 1/4in groups. 40gr gave 1in groups - all 3 touching. Sometimes sub MOA. And this was repeatable accuracy! I've found my JSP load.

Cast bullets are another matter. I'm using the Meister hard cast 405 grainers. Over several range sessions I've used loads from 36gr thru 40gr of 4198 in 1/2gr increments and the best groups I've managed were 2in. Very disappointing performance. Maybe changing powder would help - I'm thinking of 3031 - but at $18.00 per 1lb can I can't afford too much experimentation. Sure would like to use cast bullets though because they're cheaper and more traditional.

Anybody got any cast bullet suggestions?

Thanks

RIKA :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Raider- I'm not sure of this but the rifling may have some effect on how the jacketed vs plated bulllets shoot. I'm not sure how this works with centerfire Marlins or their .45-70s but it might be a Micro-groove vs traditional rifling situation.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Todd,

Marlin claims that they use Ballard type rifling in their big bore rifles now so they will be compatible with the lead bullets used in cowboy action shooting and that only a few of the earliest ones had the Micro-groove.

RIKA

·
Registered
397 Posts
A couple of things I found over a lot of years of loading for the .45-70. None of mine are particularly powder-sensitive. When loading cast bullets, the heavier they are, the better the accuracy. Try a heavier bullet. I like a 500 grain cast bullet, but something around 450 grains should work better than the 405 grainer that you're using. Another thing that greatly improves cast performance is paper patching the bullet. A real PITA, bullets have to be sized under and then patched, but works wonders, especially at higher velocities.

DC

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
never have more range than an11" 223 has on

men,and the big critters you can either brain with the223, or chest hit with a good ccw autopistol,(to at least half of the range at which you can chest hit them with the 45-70 or you aint much of a hunter or marksman. Plinker type stuff can be done with a .22. Paper targets, tin cans, steel gongs, etc, don't CARE what load you hit them with. So why waste the time and money on a 45-70, or anything else that's so inept-specialized-useless, hmm?

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
gunkid/erika, nobody asked you!

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andy says: "So why waste the time and money on a 45-70, or anything else that's so inept-specialized-useless, hmm?"

Why? Because I have the money and I can. You cant. Thats simple enough for even you to understand.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I "plink" with a 7.62X 54 and various 7.62X 39 rifles. Also with the MK III .303 Enfield. Sure it would be cheaper with a .22, I do that, too. The idea is to enjoy yourself "get into" your guns. A .22 pistol or revolver is a great training tool. Same with a .22 rifle. They do not teach you to handle recoil or trigger control of larger caliber gun. The sub-caliber .22 units are great for training, but you have to practice with the real thing or your kidding yourself. I don't use the .22 units. When I practice I use the full power loads.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
RIKA! i think .45 COLT is the 'MAN' to pay heed/ listen to! on the 45-70,

although, i recall MAG-88 posting some sound info[as well as others]

the paper patching of bullets sounds kinda fun/neat, for awhile.

your 1" [3]rd 100yd groups are great[in anybodys view from a lever-gun of 45-70]
heck, i'd bet a steak dinner for two, that it's a tighter grouping than an OPEN/IRON SIGHTED 11" barreld car/a.r type .....ur....ah.....'rifle' could

THROW!

:wavey:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Raider said:
andy says: "So why waste the time and money on a 45-70, or anything else that's so inept-specialized-useless, hmm?"

Why? Because I have the money and I can. You cant. Thats simple enough for even you to understand.

RIKA

And, because most of us already have a good supply of SHTF, hunt-down, shoot and put the brigands' heads up on telephone-poll firearms. :uzi:
Thank you very much. :wavey:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Brass, those groups surprised the poo out of me. The man a couple of benches down the line was watching my targets through his spotting scope. He was just as surprised as I was. That rifle is definitely a keeper.

You're right about 45 Colt. He definitely knows his stuff and paper patched bullets are well worth considering - anything to get accuracy up with the cast. Magnum and the others know what they are doing too.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I think you'll find with hardcast bullets, your rifle will like to throw a given weight bullet within a certain velocity range. Trick is to find it. I've got 3 leverguns (Marlins) in .45-70 and they all like different loads in cast bullets. If you don't have it, pick up the Lyman handbook, they have a lot of loads for the .45-70 and more cast loads than any of my other manuals. They even have a section on squeezing the most accuracy out of the .45-70, well worth the read.
Those 2" groups. . .are you shooting over the factory sights? If you are, those are still damn good groups.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, not iron sights. Leupold scope. Took almost all the concentration I could muster. You're right though, I've got to experiment more. BTW, I did get the Re7 today.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
What power scope? I was considering a fixed 4x or 6x scope for one of mine. I like to keep the levers traditional, but I figure the other 1895, and 1895CB can be kept traditional. What range did you zero at? I figured with a 150 yard zero, it'd be easy enough to compensate for any range out to 200 yards with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts