Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like a stone against gravity, too. It makes the 10" 223 look like a real long range tackdriver,by comparison. :) hitting 200m heads is a pc of cake with the scoped 10" 223, without any sort of rangefinder. If you misjudge that range by 10% or if there's ANY wind,you'll miss that head with a 45-70, for a FACT.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Man,you really are jealous aren't you?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
all this talk on the 45-70 round

has got me wanting one!

i think i'll start the 'hunt' for a 8"-10" barrel for my xl-rpm target pistol!

keep breakin' trail, RIKA!

THANKS.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
My .38-55 drops like a rock out past 200 yds also. So whats your point, it just gives me an excuse to get some more range time so I can master the cartridge. This is called a challenge, but you wouldn't know that since you have never actually competed in competition.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
It's called knowing your weapon. You're just afriad to be shown up by a single-shot rifle or levergun that fires a round that's over 125 years old.

BTW, hitting targets at 200 yards isn't hard with a .45-70 either. Bullet drop is not the same thing as accuracy.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
brass hammer said:
has got me wanting one!

i think i'll start the 'hunt' for a 8"-10" barrel for my xl-rpm target pistol!

keep breakin' trail, RIKA!

THANKS.
No kidding,there's a shop around here that always has a rack of used lever guns.I used to just walk past them.Maybe I should have a look.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
u couldn't GIVE me a dozen lever actions, in ANY caliber, if i had to KEEP the pos's.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
dude!

what's the average 'stray dog' count at your dump! running?

when you 'test' on them don't you kinda get the feeling that the almighty him self is watching, as you gleefuly watch them thrash in there death throes!

that would creep me out, to no end!

thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Guys, I'm enjoying that 45-70 immensely and so what if its a challenge to shoot. Challenges are fun and make you learn to be a better rifleman. It wouldn't be very hard to have a really good vernier tang sight mounted. It would be quickly adjustable for elevation and then you could do some shooting at 300 - 600 yds.

The only LA that I was familiar with was the old Win 1894 30-30 and I really didn't like it. The Marlin is an entirely different rifle with excellent handling qualities and I like the cartridge. Its totally unique.

I can't wait until next month when it cools down. There are some 400 - 500lb hogs rooting around up at deer camp and the camp manager is BEGGING people to kill them as we are being overrun with hogs. Don't worry. If I kill one, it will be processed into ham and sausage.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
RIKA, if you decide to get a tang sight installed, get a medium range Soule sight. It'll more than handle the ranges the Marlin can handle (out to ~ 600 yards), and isn't quite as cumbersome as the long range Soule sights. I think you've discovered why the .45-70 is still so popular, and you'll just LOVE what it does to hogs.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I bought from Marbles about 3 years ago when I wanted to replace the sights on my .38-55's. They are good people to deal with.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
RIKA, I like the Marbles sights, the Pedersoli might work ask a gunsmith, or contact them directly. It's not a problem with the straight grip on the Cowboy and Guide gun, not sure about the pistol grip on the 1895 and 1895SS. BTW, if you only see a listing for the 1895SS (like on the Marbles site, it's the same as the 1895, but had the microgroove rifling).

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
223 fan said:
might as well be jealous of the garbage dump.
I can agree with that. After all, a 11" CAR is about like a garbage dump. At least that's what the Army did with theirs. They dumped them all.

And the .45/70 will drop a elk at 200 yards, one shot. An 11" CAR would 90 percent of the time just wound the elk at that range.

There are lots more places for the .45/70 than there are for the 11" CAR. In fact, there is just one place for the CAR, and that's the dump.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
isn't the heavier cartridge less prone to drift in wind because of it's greater inertia... i.e. resistance to change in direction?

friction nonwithstanding... don't all objects fall at the same rate? i.e. if you toss a bullet up in the air to mirror the vertical path of one that is being shot (compensating for the upward peak somewhere past the bbl, then the concurrent drop) won't they hit the ground at the same time when you take wind resistance out of it?

if so, the only difference is the velocity of the cartridge... with the same trajectory (meaning "arc" here, I don't know the proper word) wouldn't a 45-70 and a .223 hit the ground at the same time, the difference being the .223 would be a lot further down range at the time of impact?

trying to go back to newton here...

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the issue is one of VELOCITY all right, with the 223 having 50% more velocity, and also, retaining its velocity better. There is the issue of velocity RETENTION, too, and it's a major deal, A large caliber BLUNT bullet, fights a LOT more air resistance, and thus, slows down faster than does a smaller caliber spitzerboatail shape. Yes, the heavier (for the caliber) bullets DO retain their velocity better than the lighter bullets (for the caliber) if they are of the same shape. The bigger diameter bullet also has a larger "profile" for the wind to push against, (sideways of the bullet) The longer the bullet's flight, the more time the wind has to act on the bullet, ya know. So the slower the bullet, the worse it does against a cross wind, all other things being equal. Of course, all other things are almost never equal, but bullet flight time definitely effects wind drift. It also effects LEAD required, on moving targets,and a bullet that takes a full second to arrive at the target, as vs half a second, ALSO allows the animal more time in which to suddenly take a step, turning a chest hit into a gut hit, (if the shooter is sideways to the critter)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
OK gunkid, post a detailed list of your bug out kit that you have ready to go AT THIS MOMENT! You post yours, I'll post mine, with pictures and we can discuss the pro's and cons of both. You wanted an intelligent question, lets see if you have the b*lls to answer it? Please post it under the SHTF section.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts