Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't quite sure where to put this - since it's "handgun vs. rifle", it didn't really fit in either of those subforums, so generic "gun talk" seemed as good as any.

Chronograph testing of several .45Colt loads to see what the actual achieved differences were from a typical revolver vs a carbine. There were two surprises, and really only one of them should have been. The first was seeing how slow the 250-grain Winchester lead-bullet load was; but afterward it dawned on me that it was specifically marked as a 'cowboy' load, and so is of course slower than normal.

The second surprise was the Liberty Ammunition 78-grainer, averaging over 2370 fps and 974 ft/lbs. Basically equaling the power level of a 10"-12" .223 sbr power-wise. And these aren't "+P" or "Ruger only" loads; they're allegedly safe for any functional gun in .45 Colt caliber, even antiques. I'd want to see some actual gel tests at those velocities before trusting that light a bullet in .45 caliber before actually using it for anything serious. Being so light and a hollowpoint, it might (or might not) underpenetrate to a drastic degree. Having a sectional density of about one-third of a normal bullet (whether in .45Colt, .223, or even .38 special), driving it at that high velocity might actually be a bad thing. Would definitely want to see some terminal-performance testing before adopting it for anything bigger than a coyote or similar. A commenter on youtube theorized that the Liberty's shiny finish might have been a factor in the chronograph's difficulty detecting at the rifle's increased velocity - I don't know if that's the case, but it hadn't occurred to me and could well be a factor.

Anyway, the results as they came out.

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
I recently sold my pair of Ruger "Original" Vaqueros in .45 Colt with 4.62" barrels because frankly I never found them as accurate as my pair of Vaqueros in .44 magnum.

My Cowboy loads in .45 Colt

1a) 5.1 grains of Red Dot, 200 grain LRNFP, OAL 1.58"

1b) Ruger "Original" Vaquero chrono average 697.9 fps Power Factor 139.58

1c) Uberti M73 Carbine, 19" barrel, chrono average 771.6 fps Power Factor 154.32

2a) 6.1 grains of Red Dot, 200 grain LRNFP, OAL 1.58"

2b) Uberti M73 Carbine, 19" barrel, chrono average 1046.8 fps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts