Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load 45 Long Colt for both hand guns and a Winchester 94 trapper.
Does has anyone had problems with heavy loads (Reloading manual listed Blackhawk loads) in a S&W 25 or the 94? The newly listed loads for Lil' gun are fierce and appear to be higher pressure than the Blackhawk loads listed in other manuals.
I've worked up a beauty Lil' Gun load for the trapper that will pitch a 225 gr. Speer at 2000 fps from the trapper. Unfortunatley, I have to go with a heavier bullet in my Vaquero where it won't work the same magic but will gain 100 fps over H110.
I haven't fed any of these loads to my S&W 25 because no one will admit that the S&W will take anything but factory loads.
Any experience with these guns and loads would be appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
rifels vs revolvers

Keep in mind that max loads for your blackhawk when shot in the trapper will generate higher pressures due the lack of a cylinder gap. I shot a Marlin 1894, in 44 mag, loose, it took around 2500 rounds to do it, but it can be done.

·
Registered
397 Posts
There's a pretty fair chance you'll wreck your Smith if you use Ruger loads in it. There's a reason Hodgdon stipulates their Lil'Gun loads in .45 Colt are for Ruger Blackhawk and TC Contender only.

DC

·
Registered
46 Posts
225gr at 2000fps for 45 LC?

I hope that you are checking your case lenght, and inspecting each case before you reload it!!

That load falls into my HOT LOAD deffination, and so requires that ALL COMPONITS be examined in intiamate detail before and after.

Don't mean to alarm you but keep in mind that case doesn't have 44 mag pressure ratings.

Terry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
225 gr 45 LC

The pressures in the Lil Gun loads, from the primer and lack of any other pressure signs, look to be more consistent and lower than at least most of the H110 loads that I have been using for years.
The numbers that I have seen from Hodgedon seem to put them at about 75% of the pressure used in the .44 Mag. I rate them to be fairly warm but not maniacal.
I do have a new bunch of StarLine brass that I have been using for my BlackHawk loads. It seems to be quite nice.
As far as breaking the model 25, I believe that it would be just unpleasant to hold onto it while shooting the Lil Gun loads and don't plan to use them in it at this point. All reports that I've gotten from people who abuse their S&W's lead me to believe that the H110 Blackhawk loads may accelerate wear but would not result in a catastrophic failure (Of course, I could be wrong.). So I don't shoot them much and mostly practice with 5 grains of bullseye under a 255 gr LSWC.

Speaking of which...Do you know about Vaquaro's? I've got 2 w/ 5.5" barrels (one blue, one SS) and they both shoot a 255 gr bullet exactly to point of aim at close range no matter how slow or fast the bullet is going. Do they all act this good?

Thanx for your help.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: 225 gr 45 LC

gooberpp said:
Speaking of which...Do you know about Vaquaro's? I've got 2 w/ 5.5" barrels (one blue, one SS) and they both shoot a 255 gr bullet exactly to point of aim at close range no matter how slow or fast the bullet is going. Do they all act this good?

Thanx for your help.
No, they don't. You've got a couple of gems. Hang on to them, unless you want to send me the blued one.:)

DC

·
Registered
46 Posts
Must be something special! I have a Vaquaro in 45LC and it hits 99% with all loads under 75'. Great gun use it in CAS shoots alonge with a win94, so far I would not trade them for any other combination.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back to the start of this thread.

What was the little gun load?
What was the H-110 load?
We know the bullet weight, but not the powder charge!

I am in the process of working up 45LC loads and am interested in any info you can pass on.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm not at home, so I don't have all my notes here. A pretty good thumper in .45 Colt is a 250 grain Hornady XTP over 25.0 grains of LIL'GUN. I chrono 1410 fps with a 7 1/4" barrel and it only drops off to 1325 out of a 4 5/8" barrel. LIL'GUN drops in velocity less than H110 as barrel length decreases - this by my measurement.

That's a Ruger only load.

I've got a pretty good standard pressure load that uses Blue Dot and puts Cor Bon's offering in second place. When I get to my notes, then back to a computer, I'll post it, along with a 300 grain Ruger only load I'm playing with.

DC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
45 LC & Lil Gun

According to the Hodgedon web site:

http://www.hodgdon.com/

250 GR. HDY XTP(Starting Loads)
DIA. .452
COL: 1.600"

LIL'GUN 23.5 1331 25,800 CUP

250 GR. HDY XTP(Maximum Loads)
DIA. .452
COL: 1.600"

LIL'GUN 25.5 1410 29,800 CUP

260 GR. NOS PART(Starting Loads)
DIA. .451
COL: 1.650"

LIL'GUN 19.0 1196 24,500 CUP

260 GR. NOS PART(Maximum Loads)
DIA. .451
COL: 1.650"

LIL'GUN 21.0 1312 30,000 CUP

·
Registered
397 Posts
You gotta remember, those are Ruger-only loads.

A pretty good (Ruger only) 300 grain load is a Speer 300 grain JFP over 20.5 grains of LIL’GUN, Winchester primer. Roll crimp at cannelure. 1200+fps.

A couple of good self defense loads (standard pressure, for any modern firearm in good condition).

1. 100 grain Speer JHP, 13.5 grains HS-6, Winchester primer. Roll crimp at cannelure. This about duplicates CorBon’s 200 grain SD load. A little quicker, but not by much. 1100+fps.

2. 230 grain Speer Gold Dot, 13.5 grains of Blue Dot. COL 1.600”. Winchester primer. This bullet has no cannelure so I use a firm taper crimp. A really nasty load, one I would recommend for SD. Recoil is very manageable, performance is outstanding. 1050 fps.

These loads put out here with all the usual disclaimers, which basically boil down to “If you hurt yourself, don’t blame me”. They are all at or near what I would consider maximum. Start lower.

Some folks won’t use handloads for SD, citing legal liability (to me, a non-issue) or reliability (I’ll trust my loads over anything any factory produces).

DC

1 - 11 of 11 Posts