Arms Locker banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a m-6, .22 over 410 ga. I seem to remember reading that .45acp can be fired in a 410 ga. Can it be done, or am I mistaken? Seems this would be a better deer round than a .410 slug, post SHTF.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
.45 long colt, yes; .45acp, don't see how, as it's rimless.

Don't know if it would feed properly in a pump, and it probably wouldn't cycle in an auto, but I've fired a bunch of .45LC in my kid's .410 break-open single-shot. (So has he.) Not rifled, and so not overly accurate, but it's like a somewhat light-loaded musket basically. I'd trust it on a deer out to 50 yards or so, if I had to.

Also remember the 'choke' issue. Running a jacketed pistol bullet through a full-choke gun could well result in very bad things. My son's gun is choked, (forget which choke exactly, right now), but the only .45LC loads we run through it are light "cowboy" loads, with non-jacketed soft-lead bullets. A non-choked or variable-choked shotgun would offer more load options.

That said, I wouldn't recommend either one, the .410 or the .45LC as a planned shtf caliber, unless it's just what you've got now, or there are some other factors that have to be considered. The .410 is a somewhat uncommon caliber, it's a very (trust me) expensive caliber when compared to other gauges of shotguns, and it's pretty limited in what it can do. The .45LC has all these disadvantages as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
SatCong said:
Just a thought, will a 41 mag also work?
SatCong
No. Two reasons come to mind off hand.

Case dimensions are too small in the .41 Mag.

Pressure - the .410 runs at about 13,500 PSI, the .41 Mag is around 3 times that. Someone who shoots a "Ruger Only" loaded .45 Colt will run into some serious trouble too.

DC

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Suggest you dump the 410 and upgrade, by a bunch. At the very least, get a Mosin bolt action and a Marlin Glenfield .22 auto rifle (used). Either one can be had for $50, if you look around. You should be able to find some sucker who will give you $100 for the Scout M6. I'd spend the extra $200 needed to get an SKS and a used Marlin Papoose, rather than the bolt action and the M60 Glenfield, too. Then you'd have fighting ability, as well as deer taking ability, and your .22 would come apart and stow in a backpack, or be tied alongside one. $200 is just a weekend spent doing odd jobs, these days. Spend it, and have a LOT more gun.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
Suggest you dump the 410 and upgrade, by a bunch. At the very least, get a Mosin bolt action and a Marlin Glenfield .22 auto rifle (used). Either one can be had for $50, if you look around. You should be able to find some sucker who will give you $100 for the Scout M6. I'd spend the extra $200 needed to get an SKS and a used Marlin Papoose, rather than the bolt action and the M60 Glenfield, too. Then you'd have fighting ability, as well as deer taking ability, and your .22 would come apart and stow in a backpack, or be tied alongside one. $200 is just a weekend spent doing odd jobs, these days. Spend it, and have a LOT more gun.
Andy's advice is good on this one. If I were on a tight budget I would go the SKS & Papoose route too. At this time of the year just before Christmas its real easy to earn a few hundred dollars working part time.

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the m-6 scout as a food gathering tool. (Incidentally, it CAN be broken down, just by removing 1 pin. It is already in my pack) I already have a bushie AR for "other things". Also a p14-45, so instead of caching/carrying too many calibers it would have been nice if .45acp, especially JHP, fit into a .410

Unfortunately, it comes w/ full choke, so .45acp JHP, although maybe better for deer than 410 slugs, may not be such a good idea, even if it fit. But will definitely check out .45LC cowboy loads.

Thank you all. I appreciate the help.
Kent

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
The AR and .22 unit are the way to go. By far the 2 most common calibers, and the 2 most versatile and efficient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts